39

"UVA lineup is : defenders ; Sonnett, Dahlkemper, Roccaro and Colaprico. Midfielders ; Sullivan, Mewis, Brian, Long. Forwards ; Pugh and Sanchez. Available on the bench ; McCaffrey, Adressa, Daly and Henderson. Now, UNC lineup..."

Once we got on the field, I immediately saw my sister and all of her team, featuring their boyfriends/girlfriends. That made me feel under much more pressure. As we all are in our positions, the whistle just about to be blown, I take a look at my teammates.

What an amazing group of people. 

Just before the game begins, as the ref is arguing with one of the players, we all see Sofia running on the sideline. When she finally gets to Dani, she seems out of breath, and when she grabs her shoulders, we all know what's going on. She kissed her here, in front of the whole school, and the taller girl immediately pulled away. Dani's eyes were still closed, as she was trying to look at the girl in front of her. 

Sofia smiles when Dani finally looks at her. 

"Good luck" she tells her, before going back to the sideline. 

The crowd cheers loudly, as the ref finally blows the whistle. 

The game didn't start well. We clearly were dominated, and when halftime was there, we were down two goals. Hao was here, cheering us on. She reminded us how important that was, but also how important it was to be happy to play. The love of the game. As Hao was talking her heart out, explaining how important that was, my eyes fell on Emily. She was looking at me too, and in those piercing eyes of hers, I saw something I never saw before : true love. She was looking at me as if I was a national treasure. 

We went back on track. As always. 

When I score in the 66th minute, I hear Allie yell in the sideline. When I look in her direction, I see her, with her two best friends, and all of her teammates. Even Kristie seems happy, which rarely happens. But since Steph, who was subbed in for Ashley because she got hurt, had the assist, she just is looking at her girl with pride in her eyes. Mal equalized two minutes later, and we also had a last minute goal signed Emily Sonnett. 

She runs at me, so excited that she doesn't slow up before jumping into my arms. We both fall on the ground, quickly surrounded by our teammates. The crowd is cheering loudly, as the refs announces only thirty more seconds. We did it. I grab Emily's face into my hands, and kiss her softly. 

She smiles. "Let's finish this" she then says, helping me up. 

When the final whistle blows, joy erupts : we are national champions. 

**

"HOLY MOTHER OF GOD" Sam yells across the room, holding a bottle of champagne in her sweaty hands. "We fucking did it !"

"Of course we did it" Mal says, rolling her eyes. "We're so fab !"

That makes me burst into laughter.

After the game, we all headed into the locker rooms. Hao is out here, thanking some people and doing interviews ; more than 400 people were here to watch the game. I told Allie I'd get home late in the evening because we all want to celebrate now. Dani has found her way to Sofia, and right after the cheerleader saw her approaching, the defender just kissed her the way Sofia did only two hours ago. 

I smile at Sam, that brings the bottle to her lips. Next to her is Abby, also drinking, before wrapping an arm around Sam's waist. The taller girl looks down at her before leaning in. I choose this moment to wrap an arm around Mal's shoulders so that she wouldn't mess with them again. 

The brunette smiles at me. 

"Thank you, Linds. We owe you that victory." she says in a way more serious voice than I'm used to hearing from her. 

"You scored too, remember ?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. As I am looking around to look for Emily, I see Ashley standing in a corner, her eyes locked on Mal. I think I know I understand what's going on, so I whisper into my friend's ear : "Maybe you should go and check on your lady"

She frowns. "My lady ?" 

"Ashley" I clear it out, and as she is about to say something cold and mean as she always does, I quickly add : "Looks like she's waiting for you to make the first move. Don't be afraid, I swear love is amazing."

"Why'd you know ?" she asks, raising her eyebrows.

My eyes fall on Emily. She is laughing with Moe and Cari, clearly having fun without me. I start smiling. 

"Because I know love, and it's just as described in Shakespeare" I let out, thoughtful. "Passionate. Soul warming. A safe place."

Mal raised her eyebrows. "Woah, look at you becoming all poet and shit. Fine, I'll talk to Ashley, but you go talk to Sonnett then."

"Will do" I smirk. 

For the first time since I've known her, Mallory seems uncomfortable. She walked toward Ashley, who obviously is terrified as well. I know the two have been 'cuddle buddies' for a long time, but what Emily one day said is true : they both want to be more than that, just the way Andi and Jane are no regular friends. When Mal finally finds the courage, she cuts Ashley's sentence by crashing her lips against hers. Even though the brunette is surprised at first, her hands eventually end up on Mal's waist, and the two girls are kissing more deeply now. I smile to myself and go find Emily. 

On my way to her, I cross Andi's way. She gives me a warm smile, and we do our usual handshake. Once it's done, she silently joins Jane and Andressa, who are teaching Rachel how to hide her British accent. 

I then find myself face to face with my girlfriend, Emily Sonnett, aka the goofiest person of them all. She gives me her famous smile - the one that can warm my heart even in a cold winter - and wraps her arms around my neck. 

"Hey" I whisper against her lips, teasing her a little bit. After the night we spent together, everything has taken a new dimension. I know how bad she wants me, and how passionate she can become to show it to me, and vice versa. I smirk. "Thanks for that winning goal" I then sarcastically let out. 

She laughs. 

"What would you do without me ?" she teases. 

I bring our lips together, smiling in the kiss, while I say : "Nothing good"

That night is one of the wildest I've ever had. Don't get me wrong, I meant as in wild night with alcohol and friends, not Sonnett.