4

The next day is quite busy, to be honest.

Our appointment is at 9:40 AM. I am the last one to arrive - as usual. Moe, Eric - of course hand in hand, as the perfect couple - Cari and Danny are already here. I know Sam and Dahlkemper will be late because of their bus, while Stephanie and the others probably already are inside. Indeed, when we get inside, they already are preparing the training stuff. Our coach - Heather O'Reilly, that is the reason why this clubs is given a second chance - will arrive in twenty minutes and we wanted to surprise her with everything already ready. So we hurry up in order to have everything covered.

Once she finally arrives, she jumps into our arms.

« Oh Goooooood I've missed you guys so much ! » she exclaims, hugging all 11 of us. I know, it isn't much, but it's enough for us. Once Stephanie's injury will no longer be, we'll be ready. The only bad thing is that player missing in defense. « You look so grown-ups guuuuys ! So, you're ready to prove me you were worth fighting for ? » she asks, even more excited than we are.

Moe makes her usual bitch-face. « Is that even a question ? » she sarcastically asks.

« Of course we're ready ! » Jane exclaims, clapping her gloves together.

« There's just a problem... » Sam says. « We're down one player, thus we're only ten on the field » she sadly explains.

Hao is smiling, which cannot be a good sign. She turns around and then, back on us. She seems overexcited.

« I told you Hao had it all covered » she says loudly. « You can come in now ! » she then yells, looking at the door.

What happens next just blows me away.

Sonnett's here. All dressed in soccer equipment, her black jersey and colorful cleats on. I'd lie if I say I'm not surprised. And I can tell everybody is. That explains a lot : the newbie arrived in the middle of the year because Hao fought to have her on our school. She could've gone in the other high school, but she didn't. As much as I am happy for my team, I don't really know how to react : she'll be here all the time, right next to me, playing on my team, talking to my friends and teammates. And let's face it, she's adorable and totally great with people. Of course they'll like her, and I'll like her too. But what if I like her too much ?

I shake my head, as I see Andi and Moe immediately rushing on her, jumping on her and stuff. I roll my eyes, as Hao is just next to me. She puts her arm around my shoulders, and smiles widely. She knows how I am : she's trained us thorough the four years I've been there, and having her back is amazing. She's an English teacher, but the way she cares about women's soccer and its right is just admirable.

She smirks. « Be nice, Lindsey. Okay ? »

« Fine » I mutter. « I'm always nice. »

« You and I both know that ain't true, kid » Hao smirks.

« It's good to have you back » I honestly say.

We both laugh in sync, as Sonnett gets into the mix and the girls explains the placement to her. She's a defender, thank God.

**

After training, the team gather around in the locker room. Heather had to go because she had to talk to the headmaster.

Andi sits next to me. She's always been my locker buddy. I'm number 9, she's number 10. Always have, always will. I smirk when I hear her huge sigh.

« Come on, you're already tired ? » I tease her.

She rolls her eyes, but doesn't respond. Suddenly, her attention is caught by Moe, who is now on her feet.

« Guys, let's go party ! » she exclaims.

« It's Tuesday » Ashley objects, frowning.

« So what ? Hao said we had to get together as a group ! What better way to do so than go out and learn to know each other better, uhh ? » she asks.

I can see Sam shrugging. « Seriously ? »

Since I know Moe will soon loose her patience, I get up too. « Moe's right. Our first game is this weekend, and we've got no time to loose. We're going to rock that damn dance floor, girls ! »

I high five Moe, who gives me a thankful look.

As the girls are done complaining and calling their parents to tell them they had extra-hours in the library or some shit, I grab my bag and hurry to put it in Danny's car. We drive straight at a store, before waiting on her to buy some alcohol, thanks to her sister's ID. I know some girls are not comfortable with going out in the middle of the week (like Dahlkemper or Andi, who are such good pupils), but I know this is important. Team bonding is as important as any other training, because you can be as good as you want, but with no chemistry nothing is going on.

Once Danny is back, she starts the car. Andi borrowed her sister's, which is like a eight-seats. The rest are in the car I am in. Moe is in on the same level than Danny, while I am glued between Cari and Sonnett. As much as I am not very happy she's here, I gotta admit she's doing good to this team, both in terms of efficacy (she plays really, really well) and bonding (she's very funny and everybody seem to like her beside me).

As Danny is looking for a great music channel to listen, Moe is counting the bottles of alcohol we've got : 10. 10 bottles for 12 people.

« Where are we going anyway ? » Sonnett asks.

That makes Cari laugh. « Welcome on our team, Em. We're gonna show you Sam's garage. »

« A garage ? » she asks, raising her eyebrow.

« Yup. She reorganized it into a party room. Like, there are couches everywhere, a great sono, and moreover, a fridge for alcohol and food. It's a national treasure, believe me » Danny says, smiling widely. « That's where we usually get drunk, because it's very well isolated, thus nobody can hear us and complain. »

« Also, we don't get lost » Moe adds, before we both burst into laughter. She then remembers our new defender didn't get the joke. She turns around to face Sonnett. « That one time, Steph got so drunk that she got lost in her way back to her house. Kristie had to locate her phone to find her. She was sooooo upset »

That makes me crack a smile, while Cari just rolls her eyes. « She'd do anything for her bae. I bet she didn't remain angry very long. »

« She never does » I comment.

I can feel Sonnett looking at me for a while, before looking away. I frown, not sure why I am so awkward all of a sudden. Moe notices my change of attitude - I usually am the noisy one, always throwing shade about things.

She says : « You okay, Linds ? You barely even talked tonight. »

Her concern makes me laugh. « I'm fine. Just tired. »

« Alcohol is gonna help you with that ! » Danny yells.

I sigh. It always does.