5

The party has gone out of hands.

It's only midnight, and we drank 3/4 of the bottles we bought. Everybody is pretty turned up, even the girls that were supposed to drive. The drinking games that Moe made up are responsible for this. I mean, I've partied with those girls before, but never like that. It's fun to see people like Ashley or Mal going crazy and talking nonsense, because they usually are so clever and shit. Everybody is dancing, messing around and stuff. Kristie, who knew Sam was going to organize a party in their garage (they organized it together, so the younger sister has to tell the other whenever she invites people over), just came around 11 PM and took Stephanie with her. She claims that the brunette needed rest because of her injury, but we all know what they were just about to do.

As far as I am concerned, I am just sipping my glass quite rapidly, sitting on that couch on my own. Or almost. Jane Campbell, our goalkeeper, sits down next to me, smiling. We then just observe people, laughing at them.

« I like this Sonnett girl » Jane says, looking right in front of us.

I lift my eyes, and see her dance with Danny and Moe, laughing hysterically. I don't know if it's because of alcohol, but I suddenly find her beyond pretty and attractive. Pushing those weird thoughts away, I just focus on what the goalkeeper just said.

« She's alright, I guess » I bitterly let out.

When I look again, something catches my attention.

Sam and Abby are on a corner of the room, sitting together on a couch. What strikes me is that they're pretty close (physically, I mean), and from time to time Sam would just touch Abby's hand without any reason, and the blonde just don't react. I frown : I never thought Sam would like someone like Dahlkemper. Don't get me wrong, but Sam's not the kind of girl to date anyone. Her family would totally be okay with this, but she just... doesn't fit in relationships. Maybe I'm overreacting.

Jane, who is looking the same way than I am, just frowns.

« Woah, Dahlkemper and Mewis... » she lets out in a whisper.

« I don't know » I let out. « I mean, I hope not. It would be totally messed up to have a couple inside of the team. It always brings crap. »

The blonde just nods. « True. But they're kind of cute. »

I don't say anything else, because a big noise is heard.

I immediately stand on my feet : the first thing I see is Moe on the ground, and Mal and Danny freaking out. She's so drunk that she fell off the table, and her head is bleeding. I immediately rush toward her, and so does Cari. We kneel by her side : she seems not okay at all. She's crying, and throws up on the floor before somebody could get her anything to throw up in. I know that : concussion.

I immediately grab my phone and call Allie. Her sleepy voice seems concerned when she answers : « Lindsey ? What's going on ? »

I sigh. She always is here for me. That's fortunate.

« We're at Sam's. There has been an accident, I think Moe needs to go to the hospital » I quickly say, watching Cari trying to help her with the vomit. The other girls turned the music off, trying to look for some water or something. « I'm sorry I woke you up, but... »

« Say no more » Allie says, cutting me short. « I'll be here in five. »

I don't even have the time to thank her, because she hung off. I exchange a look with Cari, while Sonnett is helping her up. We agreed on a plan : while myself and Sonnett are going to the hospital with Moe, Cari would reach the Brians to tell them about their daughter's concussion, while the other will just help Sam cleaning the whole mess up. The idea is that nobody is left out. I am cursing myself as I see Sonnett helping me with Moe. We take something for her to throw up in, while the defender just looks at me. She's the one coming with me because she feels guilty to have danced next to her and not catch her up.

As we finally reach the alley, I can recognize Allie's car - a Fiat 500, the black one. She comes out of this and looks at Moe.

« She's a mess » I warn her.

My sister just nods. « I've got messy friends too. It's okay. Just, put her in the car. » she orders.

I agree, as Sonnett is helping me fasten Moe's seatbelt. She will remain by Moe's side to held the vomit-thing, while I am sitting on the passenger seat. Allie doesn't say anything until we arrive to the hospital.

**

It's 2 AM when Moe's parents finally arrive.

I've got news from Sam : her and Dahlkemper were still cleaning the garage, with Kristie and Steph's help. Danny called her brother, who came to pick her and Cari up, since they live in the same neighborhood. Then, the rest of the girls just walked back home. Mama Brian is not very happy with the circumstances, but thank us to be honest with her. We then take off, as Allie just asked Sonnett if she needed a ride home (she practically forced her into the car.) Once we get to my house, she just drops us off, as she is driving back at Bati's place.

Alcohol is still hitting on my system, while Sonnett doesn't seem very clean either. I look down at her, as she is checking her watch.

« I'll walk you home » I say, as if she has no choice with that.

She nods, while we head toward her building. Once we're near it, she abruptly turns around and blurts out :

« Why do you hate me, Lindsey ? »

« I don't- »

« You don't even know me, and you're judging. I see it in your eyes, and also the facial expressions you do whenever I come into a room or something. Did I do something to you ? I mean, I'm sorry if I did, but I don't think I deserve to be treated this way. »

« Calm down, dude » I say, raising my hands. My headache is back, and I don't really like the tone she's using. « You're right, I don't like you. And I am not the kind of person that pretends to like someone when they don't, or the opposite. » (Right ?) « So we don't have to be friends. We can just stand each other, because that team matters too much to just ruin it. »

She frowns. « Why did you walk me home if you don't like me ? » she asks, confused. I can see her crystal blue eyes turning grey, and her face being struck by concern. I know drunk people are overreactive, and I am being rude at the moment.

« Pity, I guess » I let out.

I know, my way not to like her sucks. But that's the only thing I came up with that is actually a good idea, and possible for me to do. Being a bitch is my thing.

She seems disappointed.

« Okay. » She then starts walking away. « Imma leave you alone now. See ya. »

As I see her pushing her building's door, I sigh. I've never been attracted to somebody like that before. I need to protect myself. Falling for her would mean having to always be nice, well-dressed and caring. I don't want that. Or maybe I do, but I don't want me to want to. That's weird, I know. That's who I am.

I start walking away as well.