6

"See you tomorrow" I say, slowly waving at Drew, who immediately disappears behind the trees ahead of him.

I sigh : it's only 10 PM, and I have to go home. I know dad haven't given any hour for me to come home, but since all my friends are good people, they decided to get home early in order to study. I should probably do the same, but procrastinating is just too tempting : I will watch soccer games instead. 

As I walk on my street, I suddenly hear a loud noise. I immediately look up at the window next to me : it's the building where Sonnett lives. On the second floor, people begin to scream, and I hear a man's voice that is quite dominant, then a noise of glass that gets broken, and nothing. Not a sound. I frown, before shrugging and heading home. 

Allie is here, sitting on the coach, Tobin and Kelley with her. The trio have been down one of their squad's member, as Alex had to go with Servando to a family dinner. So they just chill here, watching stupid movies and mostly talking. When they see me, they frown. But my sister is the first one to speak up : 

"Where the hell were you ?" she asks angrily. 

I shrug. "Out with Drew."

"In the middle of the week ?" the blonde goes on. Her clear blue eyes are locked on me, which means I'm in trouble. She doesn't take long to add : "And after yesterday's party ?"

"Yeah."

She seems upset, but I know she doesn't want to get mad in front of her friends. I greet them, kiss Allie's cheeks - she gives me a defying look that clearly means 'this conversation is not over', before winking - before climbing up the stairs to my room. Once I'm on it, I just lock the door and go on my bed. 

I unlock my screen, and before I can read my messages, something else catches my attention. Police cars are parked right in front of the building where somebody screamed earlier. I get up and go at the window, just to see if it's true. Once I encounter there not only is one, but three cops parked in the middle of the road, I just assume somebody did a bad thing. And then, there's the ambulance. 

I sigh, before closing my curtains so that the light won't bother me. I then take my computer on my lap, and watches some Olympic games. 

**

Thursday suck, if you want my opinion. And, still, if you don't want it, then let me tell you it's the worse day ever. 

Our dumb maths teacher is writing some stupid formulas on the board, while I can see almost everybody frowning. Sam, who is with me this class, is just completely lost, not because she doesn't understand, but because she thinks the teacher made some mistake. While she is arguing with him, nobody saw the door open. But when the person comes in, everybody turn their eyes on her. 

It's Sonnett, with a freaking black eyes. She got punched or something. Really hard. She immediately looks up, murmurs some 'sorry' for being late, before taking a seat just ahead of me, next to Cari, who silently asks her if she's okay. Sonnett makes up some stupid excuse, while my head is overthinking. 

What if it was her apartment the cops were in yesterday ?  

That didn't strike me before, but now that I am taking a closer look on her, I can clearly see that her eye isn't the only thing damaged : her arm seems like it's been hold really tight, and the back of her neck is red as well. I frown : what the fuck happened ? When she felt my curious eyes on her back, she untied her hair to cover her neck, and looks down. Cari turns around and we exchange a look. 

I suddenly felt so bad. I acted like a bitch with her the other night. And now she got beat up or something. So when class is over, and that she tries to escape the questions and stuff, I follow her through the corridors - even though I'm gonna be late for my next class, that sucks as well - and wait for her to be alone. Once she stops, I just appear in front of her. Her reaction is immediate : she shamefully looks at her feet, and tries to find a way out. 

She's such a mess, teary eyes and stuff. 

"Sonnett, what the hell happened ?" I ask. 

I know, I'm not the best psychologist ever. But at least I'm trying ; that's what matters the most, right ?

She just glares at me. "Why'd you even care ?" she meaningly asks, annoyed. 

She tries to walk away, but I stand on her way now. That makes her roll her eyes : I'd have loved to take her arm to affirm my domination, but I'm afraid I'd hurt her. She seems to have been kicked everywhere. 

"You're my teammate" I innocently say, trying to figure out why I care that much anyway. "And even if I don't like you, nobody deserves to be beaten like that." I then take a small break, while she's avoiding my gaze again. The sweet voice that gets out of my throat surprises me as much as it surprises her. "Your dad ?"

She lifts her big, sad eyes, before frowning. 

"It's none of your business, Lindsey" she then responds, using her meanest tone just to make me back up. I gotta admit I don't like to see her like that, at all. I don't want her, but that just makes me wanna go out there and throw her dad out of the window. She shakes her head, before looking at her watch. "I'm late now, thanks to you."

She then walks away. Again. And I just let her, because, I mean, who am I to hold her back ? Even though I really want to chase her down and help her solve out her problems - even though they can't be solved, a jerk always remains a jerk - I just stand here, watching her as she turns to the corner. 

When I come back to class, I sit down next to Cari, who just raises her eyebrows. 

"What's wrong with her ?" she asks, absolutely referring to Sonnett. 

I frown. "I don't know, but I'm going to find it out."