Unknown Fears

-=X=-

That night, I had a nightmare. A horrifying one. I was running away from the shadow. It looked like it was human, but I could tell by the eyes that it was not. It was a demon. Its voice chilled me, my head was spinning.

Am I sure this is a nightmare? It feels so... real.

It was getting closer. My short legs and lack of exercise made it easier. There was a knife in its hand, bright red cheeks, and it looked no older than me.

A puppet. That's what it looks like. A creepy, levitating puppet.

It grabbed my shoulder and threw me to the ground. Its wicked laughter felt threatening as I lay on the ground, helpless.

"You'd better be careful, little one. You might turn out to be just. Like. Me. Hee hee!" It grabbed me by the collar of my green shirt and lifted me from the tiled floor. With their other hand, they had the knife ready to stab me. It snarled at me. I was done for, I remember thinking.

But then, I woke up.

I sat upright quickly. I looked around me, and realised it was the bedroom Toriel let me stay in. The walls, rug, and furniture were all a shade of bright red. I wonder if someone else came before me.

I hopped off the bed and exited the room. There was enough light to see where I was going, but not enough to make me see things clearly, just outlines. I went to the living room, wondering if she was awake. I had no idea what time it was, but it felt like it was morning. I guess too early in the morning. She wasn't sitting in her reading chair.

I wanted to go exploring a little bit more, so I decided to go down the stairs to the basement to see if there was anything interesting. The basement should scare me, especially after that nightmare, but I felt... drawn to it.

Everything was purple, though the only things that were there were the walls and floor. It was a long hallway, and since I knew I could easily come back, I walked down it. Walked right to the end and turned the corner and noticed something in the distance.

A door? I thought. As I approached it, I noticed that there was some sort of symbol on the door. It had three triangles below a circle that had wings coming from it. Strange. Didn't Toriel have this symbol on her dress?

I opened the door and walked through. My boots became damp from—snow? The door swung shut behind me. It was too cold to be out here, so I tried to go back.

The door wouldn't open. I yanked the handle and pulled as hard as I could. It wouldn't budge.

Great. Now, I still have no clue where I am, and now there's no one around. I hope that my nightmare wasn't a vision.

I followed the snowy path through a dense pine forest. It felt like someone was watching me, ever since I came through the door. I kept walking. What else could I do?

CRACK! A tough-looking branch I stepped over several seconds ago snapped. I turned quickly to see if someone was there. Nothing. A branch can't snap by itself, can it?

I kept walking, but faster this time. I still have that unsettling feeling that someone is following me in the shadows, waiting for the right moment.

Up ahead I saw a bridge with what looks like bars. I wonder why they're here. They're too wide to stop anything. Then, I heard heavy footsteps behind me and I froze in fear and from the cold.

Please don't hurt me.