Holding On by a Flame

Tick. Tick. Tick. This feels like hot sauce instead of tomato juice. Baking soda instead of baking powder.

"S-Sans?" My vision was becoming hazy. My breathing came out in wheezes and sputters.

Sans was kneeling beside me. He was saying something, but the words sounded slurred as if in slow motion. My chest felt tight. His eyes started to tear up, and his left eye glowed.

From his pocket, he pulled out my inhaler. He gently put it in my mouth and sprayed the medicine in. It didn't help much. Blood was coming from my mouth.

Tick. Tick. Tick. 9/20 health left.

Sans shot a Gaster Blaster in Undyne's direction, and she got the hint. She took off. He scooped me in his arms and teleported outside the shop.

"Pap... help... impaled... magic." That was all I could make out. Papyrus nodded and they put me back on the cot.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Nothing like dying where you slept.

Papyrus closed his eyes and concentrated. When he opened them, his right eye glowed yellow-orange. I think he told Sans to remove the spear from my stomach. As much as the spear should have hurt me, feeling it slide out felt relieving.

Tick. Tick. Tick. At least I'll be in the company of friends.

Papyrus took off his gloves and gave them to Sans. He then put both hands over the gaping wound. His eye glowed brighter, and seemed to be like fire. His hands started to turn a warm orange, and the wound became orange. Then like the flames from a fire, I could no longer see the wound because Papyrus' magic covered it, and the orange kept spreading down to my legs, to my chest, to my head. I closed my eyes.

It's so peaceful here. Seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen—all the way to my full 20/20 health.

Twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six—all the way to 30/20 health. Sweeter than sugar.

"Jessey, are ya okay now?! Oh, God, please be okay!" Sans grabbed my hand in both of his. "Ya can't be gone."

"Human, wake up! You should be all better, I healed you! You're more than healed. Come on, human!" I reopened my eyes. Pap and Sans were weeping over me.

"I d-didn't mean to s-scare anyone." I weakly spoke. "I'm s-sorry." They both tackled me in a huge hug. I was glad they cared about me so much.

"No apologies needed, kid. All I care about is seeing ya awake and alive." Sans' eye glowed in unison with Pap's.

"Human, I don't know how I would feel if you weren't here." Papyrus put me in his arms and stood up. He then started spinning me his arms in celebration. I squealed and giggled.

"Alright, youngins', you ought to put Jessey down. Don't want them to get hurt again. Wa ha ha!" Papyrus obliged immediately. "And you'll be heading home soon?"

"Yep. We've overstayed our welcome I guess. Thanks for your hospital-ity." I laughed. It felt good to laugh without pain.

"SANS, remember what happens when you say too many puns?" Papyrus warned.

"Ya know I can't help it. Sometimes ya know one's coming, but sometimes I can be—"

"SANS, don't you DARE finish that thought." Papyrus was getting agitated. I tried and failed at hiding my smile.

"—Unpundictable." Sans winked in my direction. I howled with laughter. Not even a cough or wheeze. "Pap, did ya hear that?"

"What?"

"The kid didn't have any problems. Not even a small cough! Papyrus, ya healed them entirely!" He hugged Pap. "Ya know what this means?"

"Um... no?" Papyrus looked confused.

"I can say as many puns as I want without hurting 'em!"

"Oh my God, Sans, no!!!"

"Sans, yes."

I grabbed my bag off the floor next to the cot. "I'm ready when you guys are done quarreling. So when you done fightening the child here, I'll be all set." Papyrus groaned loudly while Sans doubled over laughing. They got their bags and followed me outside. "Thank you so much for letting us stay here, Gerson!"

"No problem, little one! Take a Sea Tea with you. Wa ha ha!" The tea smelled so good. "Enjoy!"

"Good-bye!"I waved to him before leaving. The three of us went back to the house to rest up, and hopefully get to Hotland by tomorrow.