A Moral Decision

"The others have determination injected into them was the first thing I heard." I looked at both of them. They looked nervous. "Sorry, you guys didn't notice me come in, so I thought I shouldn't interrupt." I paused. "You don't have to tell me anything."

I knew that I should've knocked or walked over to them, that way they could decide whether or not I should hear what they said. It was unkind of me. Chara showed up on Dr. Alphys' desk, knife in hand. They laughed wickedly, but I knew they were here to taunt me. It worked.

"Nice work, Jessey. Won't follow in my footsteps, huh? Looks like you failed miserably. Sans won't trust you anymore because of what you did. Eavesdropping? Talk about being unkind. It's just like something I would do."

"Don't be so sure of yourself. This won't happen again. Just get out of my head!" Sans and Dr. Alphys watched me with confused faces as I passed them, walking towards Chara. "You are not welcome there, nor will you ever be!"

Their laughter swelled. "Hee hee! You can't get rid of me. I am only here because of you, Jessey. I'll be here forever, you'll see. You'll be torturing yourself, and I'll be full of glee. In sadness and gloominess, you'll always be!" They stabbed the knife into the desk. I was sick of them and their rhyme.

"You infect other's minds to do your will. With me, with Frisk. It's your fault no one is your friend! Can't you show any love?"

"Only LOVE, dear Jessey. I have so much of it that I can't feel anything. Hurting others is a daily routine to me. Ha, but you'd never understand, unless you try." Chara met me halfway and put a knife in my hands. "Start with me. Feel how relieving it is. All that pent up rage and anger inside you must really be weighing you down. Let it out."

I stared at the knife. A reflection was on it. They looked like me, but I could tell by the eyes that they were not. The eyes were lifeless, no sparkle or shine. Their spark, their morals, were gone. They were me, I realised, if I followed what Chara said.

The knife clattered on the floor.

"No."

"No? Hee hee. That's hilarious. Who said your mind was the one in control?" They picked up the blade. "In your heart, I know you want to do it. Your soul is dying to."

"Baby bones, what's going on?" Sans turned me around and put his hands on my shoulders. "Who was it?"

"Chara. Infectious Chara." Small tears rolled down my cheeks. "They won't convince me though. I can't let them." Sans carried me so my face was over his shoulder.

"Good idea. We're leaving now, Alphys. And yes, I will tell you if anything changes. See ya around." We waved to Dr. Alphys as we headed for Sans' hotdog stand. "Let's get something to eat. How about real hotdogs?"

"Thatsounds good to me."