Up Close and Personal

As quietly as possible, I got out of bed. I pulled the covers back over Papyrus so he wouldn't get cold, and I tiptoed past Gerson. Carefully, I closed the door behind me and then I went looking for Sans.

It seems during the night that Waterfall seems even more majestic than during the day. White firefly-like things fluttered about, some coming to greet me. The calm waters gave refuge to the lily pads and reeds. I paused to look into the bright water. Nothing stirred beneath the surface, which was as smooth as glass. The only thing I could see was my reflection. I waved to myself.

If I keep getting distracted like this, I'll never find him.

As I kept strolling past pond after pond, I noticed there were bones appearing and disappearing on the walls. I found a bush that could let me see what was going on without being spotted.

"Why are you being so protective of them?! We need their soul to break the barrier!" I heard Undyne and saw her hurl an energy spear at Sans, but he dodged it with ease.

"Can ya kill someone who is kind? They haven't done anything wrong." One of those 'Gaster Blasters,' as Dream Sans called them, was fired to make Undyne back up.

"We can't keep them, Sans! What if one comes through, acting all innocent, then kills us all? What if the humans are sending them here to let our guard down? I won't have it." More spears were thrown and avoided.

"The kid is the real deal, Undyne. If ya gave 'em a chance, ya would see that! They're scared. Yeah, they have problems, too. So what? We all have problems and fears." The bones along the sides formed a wall to push Undyne back further.

"I won't let you stop me, Sans. You know I will stop at almost nothing to achieve what we all want. Freedom." Sans used a Gaster Blaster as a shield to protect himself from a spear rain.

"Papyrus would never forgive ya if you kill me or the human. He'd never forgive ya." Undyne's expression changed from anger to remorse.

"NGAHH! I hate it when you're right." She made the spears disappear. Sans ceased to let the bones crawl along the wall. "But if I find them, you better be there to protect them."

"Agreed." They shook hands, and Sans started to sluggishly walk back to Gerson's shop.

But Undyne stayed there.

There was no way I would be able to get out of here without being caught. The grass would rustle.

"Don't bother trying to hide, human. I heard you come and 'hide' in those weeds. Come out and fight!" What else could I do?

"Yes, ma'am."

"Do you know who I am?"

"U-Undyne, right?" I was starting to shake in my boots.

"Good. I bet you know of my reputation, too." She took her helmet off. She was blue scaled, had yellow eyes, and had a long ponytail of red-orange hair. I gulped.

"Aren't you going to listen to what Sans said?"

"I said he'd better be here to protect you. He's not." I could tell she was ready. "But you're here, and so is your soul, so here I am to tell you; give up your soul, or I'll tear it from your body!"

"Uh, I can't—"

"No? Well then, here I come!" Battle time. You know the drill.

Undyne was really quick though. She threw a spear faster than I could dodge it. So I held up my frying pan to protect myself. DING! I opened my eyes and saw that my frying pan broke the spear. Sweet as sugar.

"NGAHHH! Nothing beats my spears! You're going to PAY for that!"

I used my frying pan to defend myself, and only to defend myself, for I would never hurt anyone. I know how it feels to be hurt. Physically and emotionally.

Spare. Deflect. Spare. Deflect. Spare, it keeps going.

"Kid, kid! Where are ya? Ya have to look out for—gasp!" Sans' stress distracted me, and Undyne used this to her advantage. Next thing I knew, I had a spear coming out of my stomach, and my health was going down.