CHAPTER 9: The Birth Of A Mystery

Maria sat on the stool in the small, dilapidated kitchen watching Mercedes knead the flour, their course meal that evening was bread with baked egg. They ate cereal earlier for breakfast, one could tell that they weren't well-off but Maria thought them to be happy. Her eyes darted to the little girl outside the cottage playing with her white bunny which she earlier introduced as Bob.

She smiled. "Ma Mercedes"

Mercedes turned and flashed her a smile. "Yes dear?"

"Who is Lucia's father?"

Mercedes paused and shook her head. "Uhm.. I don't know. That topic is very delicate"

Maria stood up and moved closer to her. "Ma Mercedes, I know you are hiding..."

"I can't tell you, dear. Let's just accept the fact that Lucia is an orphan"

"Is that what you made her believe?". Maria shook her head in disappointment. "That she is an orphan? How could you lie to a little child and deprive her of knowing her father?

"Because she is better off, an orphan"

Maria took a step back and looked at Mercedes, she had noticed how stiff she had become and she could sense the fear radiating in her body movements. She took a deep breath. "Who is Lucia's father? You don't need to worry, I won't tell anyone. Your secret will be safe with me".

Mercedes shook her head, her voice strained and distressed. "I can't get involve. You won't understand"

"Trust me, i will"

Mercedes nodded and sat down on the stool, her hands clasped together. "My daughter, Laura, got involved with two powerful men. She was deeply convinced that she loved them both, equally and continue...attending to their sexual needs". She coughed. "She was certain that she would one day become a wife to one of them. Eventually, she got pregnant". Tears rolled down her old, wrinkled cheek. "My girl was so happy, she could rant about the baby and how it will be her golden opportunity to finally get married to one of them. She finally gave birth to Lucia, a month later and told me she was going to inform the father but i didn't hear from her in months".

Maria moved closer to her and wrapped her arms around her in comfort. "What happened to her?"

Teary eyes with hers. "She was found dead in the river side. He made it look an accident. I am sure he killed her to save his precious image".

Maria cringed, the poor woman must have went through a lot. She continued rocking her and whispered softly. "Who were these men, she was having an affair with?"

Mercedes slowly looked at her, her eyes filled with fear. "They are powerful men, Maria. You must never come in contact with them, they are surrounded by watchful eyes. Eyes that are filled with venom"

"Who are they?"

" The crowned price, Prince Nathaniel the other man...is Lord Alexander, duke of Bakewell"

******************

That evening, during dinner , Maria couldn't help but wonder on the information Mercedes had given her. The thought of Nathaniel having an affair and the possibility of him, being Lucia's father made her stomach to cringe , she couldn't even fathom the thought of him being with another woman but she knew better, Nathaniel wasn't a murderer. Her thoughts traced to Him. She sighed in satisfaction, it would be him. She knew him but hasn't seen him. He was the Nephew of the Lancaster's. The same family that contributed to her misery, oh how she loathed the Lancaster's especially the duke more than imagery! One thing was for sure, she knew it was him. He was capable of murdering Lucia's mother, maybe he had found out she was his daughter and decided to eliminate any traces linking him to the child. Afterall, a bastard will surely taint his image. She smiled, it was definitely the duke of Bakewell, oh, how sweet revenge tastes. However, the only information she knew about him was the fact that people worshiped and feared even more than the prince. And he was more powerful and wealthy than his relative, the Lancaster's.