CHAPTER 16: Realization

Rebekah exhaled deeply resting her back on the wall with a glass of champagne in her right hand and a moody Charlotte at her side.

"Do you think she will ever forgive you?"

Rebekah sighed. "Our offenses are not the same. You foolishly doubted her trust and gathered your own information behind her back, mean while, I drugged her, betrayed her trust and brought her to a place, where she is targeted by every single person. Gosh, What was I thinking?"

"I know right. What the hell were you thinking?". She shook her head ." You were so dumb to have done that. So dumb, dummy".

"Likewise, Char. I am actually glad you described your qualities, you just saved me from the stress of doing so". Rebekah retorted bringing the glass of champagne to her lips.

"Wow bravo! You sure did learn from the best. Staying with Maria sure did you lots of good". She said sarcastically. She stared at the crowd for a moment for a moment before turning back to Rebekah. "What about Adam"

Rebekah stiffened, her glass of champagne paused midway to her lips, she took a slow turn and looked at Charlotte, her expression stoic." its better we don't go there. I don't want to hear his name"

"Of course, i understand pretty well considering the fact that my relationship with Ethan was sabotaged by that woman". Charlotte countered, her last few words rolling out like venom.

"I hope she doesn't wake up". Rebekah scoffed. "it will be best for everyone".

"I guess, it would". Charlotte sighed sadly, her face immediately brightened up. "Ha, Whats the chemistry between Maria and Prince Nathaniel?

" i knew you would ask eventually". She pondered. "Though, I don't know. She doesn't talk much about her past especially those ones that concern Westernfield"

"If not for the kind of personality she has. I would have assumed they were secretly dating".

"Yeah, indeed. Maria isn't emotionally stabled yet"

"However, the town thinks of her to be an adulteress and a murderer". Charlotte whispered.

"It's still a mystery to me. But the only one who knows the truth is Maria. What ponders me the most are her plans, here in Westernfield?". Rebekah puzzled.

"Ladies!"

They turned startled to see the duke of Bakewell in his glory staring at them with cold eyes. They prostrated feeling quite uneasy under his gaze.

He averted his eyes to Charlotte. "Miss Palmer, what a surprise to see you here, in Westernfield without your boyfriend".

"How nice of you to have notice, Lord Alexander. Ethan was currently busy with work and stuff, so he couldn't accompany me". Charlotte flustered. She felt agitated talking to him, who wouldn't be!. After all, he is the legendary Lord Alexander who became a duke at the age of thirteen and has billion -dollar companies all over the world. His connections around the world is unimaginable plus his indefinable beauty.

"Of course. I heard about the close family ties he has with Lady Fabrizia of Perez de Mortez. Knowing fully well how crafty and ruthlessly wealthy the Perez's are, i send my pity and congratulatory note on the full recovery of the Perez's heiress"

Rebekah choked, her words hanging on her throat and her mind replaying his last words, 'The full recovery of the perez's heiress'. And her thoughts drawing in one solid conclusion, The Devil's heiress is alive.

"My lord... Did you just say, Lady Fabrizia is alive? ". Charlotte queried, her stomach grumbling.

Lord Alexander nodded curtly. " She never was dead. The Perez heiress isn't the reason I approached you, ladies".
He turned his attention to Rebekah. "I heard you are a good friend of Annamaria"

"Uh.. I am. We are both her friends". She replied gesturing to Charlotte

Lord Alexander looked at the both of them quizzically. "Really?"

"Yes. I met Maria four years ago and we got pretty close. The three of us." She smiled nervously gesturing to Rebekah

Lord Alexander nodded curtly. "If so, What's her relationship with Nathaniel, the Prince?"

They both stared at him before looking at themselves with the 'That's the same question we would like to know" expression. Charlotte nudged Rebekah , who gave her a glare before smiling at the duke. "Um...Like the Prince said, she is his best friend and savior ...savior...Mm..comforter...Uhmm---"

Charlotte Interrupted. "We don't know either. She has never mentioned her relationship with the Prince". Rebekah smiled at her and sighed a 'thank you'.

"As expected, I--". He groaned taking his phone out, he stared at his phone for a long time, his stare turning in to a glare . They looked at him perplexed. "My Lord, is every thing ---"

He growled. "Where the hell is that bitch ?!