Midnight Stop

Stepping out of the cab of my eighteen wheeler, I stopped and smelled the fresh air of Birmingham, Alabama

Reaching back inside the cab, I grabbed my water bottle and took a long sip. It was probably close to midnight so the gas station is was remotely empty except for one car.

I tossed my water bottle back into the cab and made sure my wallet was in my pocket before closing the door and walking into the gas station. "Good evening," the attendant greeted. She was pretty cute; blonde hair, kind of Taylor Swift-esque but not my type.

I waved and grabbed a Red Bull from the freezer. I needed something to keep me up tonight, I needed to be in South Carolina by eight AM.

"Can I help you with anything?" She asked, twirling her hair on the ends of her fingers.

"No, no thanks." I twisted my wedding band as I walked the aisles, looking for a snack.

Hearing the bell chime, I looked up and saw a dark-skinned beauty walk in. Her hair was full of big, bouncy curls and she had legs for days.  She walked over to the candy aisle where I was and reached for a Snicker's bar just as I had. It was the last one. "Go ahead," I locked eyes with her and she blushed.

She grabbed the Snicker's bar and I grabbed a bag of jerky for my ride. "I'll take $60.00 on pump 10." I said to the attendant who keyed in my request then scanned my jerky. "I'll pay for her stuff too." I offered and the attendant raised a brow.

"No, I got it." I heard her say from behind me. Turning around, I grabbed her Snickers bar with a smile and placed it on the counter.

The attendant stared at the beautiful woman behind me with an unreadable expression before scanning her item. "I also need $30.00 on pump 5." She said and I shrugged when the attendant looked at me questioningly, as if asking if I was going to pay for her gas as well.

"$97.41." She said to me and I swiped my debit card. "Thank you," the woman behind me gave me a perfectly white smile.

"Have a good night sir," the attendant said to me and I gave her a respectful head nod.