Chapter One

Percy

I fought as hard as I could.

I was making my way to Gaea.

Every monster I fought exploded into yellow dust within seconds. I could see and hear the rest of the seven fighting.

I made it to Gaea.

I walked up to her casually. She saw me and smirked.

"What is this?" She asked. "You're going to try and kill me?"

"Yes, actually," I said, casually leaning on Riptide and pretending to look at my fingernails. They were kind of long, but I liked them that way. Easier for clawing people's eyes out.

Not that I've ever done that. . .

Definitely didn't. . 

What was I supposed to do if I drop my sword over a cliff in Tartarus? I mean, I know it comes back to me, but it takes time.

The one thing I never seem to have.

Besides luck, of course. I mean, I happen to kill the arai(spelling?) with the curse that throws my sword off a cliff? Really?

Anyway, Gaea got mad after that, but I could also see fear in her eyes.

I glanced at Leo over my fingernails. He met my eyes and nodded.

Our plan? To distract Gaea until Leo is ready. Then he explodes with her in the air in the ship, killing her.

I hated the plan.

I mean, I was planning to get Leo killed.

I mean, I'm fine with distracting Gaea. But getting Leo killed?

Unfortunately, it all made sense. He told me about his oath to Calypso about going back for her. I knew I owed Calypso and would help her get off her island.

The fact that one of the seven had to "keep an oath with a final breath" made sense to. We hooked up the potion-thing to Festus (Leo had been rebuilding him inside the ship) so that Festus could give it to him.

And I respected Leo's choice, even if I do have nightmares about it for the rest of my life.

Then Gaea smiled evilly and I thought one thing: uh-oh.

By now, everyone had stopped to watch. Even, for some reason, the monsters.

She put on a shocked face with horror that looked genuine.

"Betrayal!" She shouted. I furrowed my brows, confused. The dumb monsters, like the Minotaur, looked at each other with confused expressions while the smarter ones caught on and also assumed expressions of shocked horror.

"How could you?!" She screeched.

I realized what she was doing, but I didn't show any visible signs of understanding.

Instead, I charged.

434 words.

Updated 10/29/16

I am sorry this chapter was so short. The next one will be longer, I swear it on the Styx.

I don't own the Percy Jackson books. Rick Riordan does.

53

(Ignore that. It's so that I can remember something later.)

~Shatter