Chapter Two

Percy

I ran forward at her. I swung my sword at her and she blocked it. We were blurs as we fought.

I almost got a strike at her heart, but I knew that she'd just block it or heal herself.

I glanced over my shoulder for a second and was shocked by what I saw.

No one was fighting anymore.

They were all watching.

Everyone had faces of outrage. I realized that it was at me. Gaea's plan was working.

The only one who seemed to be immune to Gaea's trick was Leo. Even Annabeth and her mother seemed to believe Gaea.

Leo was sneaking towards the Argo II (I'm just going to call it Festus for now on). He nodded in my direction.

Both of us (Gaea and I) had cuts and bruises. Gaea kept healing herself with the Earth, but new cuts always appeared before she was completely healed.

But the split second that it took for me to quickly look back was a mistake. Gaea had stepped back a few steps and had one of her hands raised.

I couldn't get close enough to hit her in time because, just at that moment, the ground beneath me slid apart.

I fell straight down.

I managed to catch myself by one hand. I looked down and saw a pit of darkness that could've went on forever.

My breathing quickened. My heart skipped a beat. I felt a bubble of fear form in my chest, and I wanted to scream as loud as I could until I couldn't breathe.

I tried to hold it in, but short scream escaped from my mouth. Everyone took a step back involuntarily. None of them had heard a scream like that- so filled with fear. And from me? Impossible! Apparently I'm not supposed to ever be scared.

I reached up with my other arm and grabbed the top with my other hand.

I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath.

I managed to find a hole in the newly made cliff to put my feet in.

I pushed with my feet and pulled with my hands and I was out of the hole on the edge.

I scrambled away from it, breathing rapidly, not taking my eyes away from the hole.

Gaea smirked.

"Scared, are you?" She asked cruelly.

I glanced at her for a millisecond.

"Obviously, you old hag," I snarled. She looked taken aback for a second. Everyone else just looked shocked. I had never talked like that to anyone. "You show someone that pit and expect them not to be? Anyone would be scared!"

On the other side of the pit, I saw Leo. I didn't look away from the hole, but I just glanced up slightly at Leo, who was now in Festus. But he was just staring at me with his mouth hanging slightly open, shocked.

"Do it!" I shouted, not taking my eyes from the split in the ground. I saw Leo remember the plan. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw everyone look over to where Leo was.

Gaea realized what was going on. She looked over to me again. She glared at me and held out her hand again.

In one movement I whipped my head around towards her, stood, turned away from her, and ran.

I ran faster than I ever had in my life.

"Hurry up, Leo!" I screamed.

The ground fell beneath me and I fell. Once again I caught myself. But this time, even though I was scared, I just closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and felt a small tear make its way down my cheek. Then I opened my eyes and looked straight into Leo's.

"Leo," I said. "Kill her for me. And find Calypso. And if I don't come back, tell her I'm sorry."

Leo looked almost like he would cry.

"I will, I swear it on the Styx," he said quietly.

"Good," I said. Then I smiled tiny bit. "That's two oaths to keep with a final breath."

And then I fell.

693 words.

Updated 10/30/16

~Iggy