Chapter One

Chapter One

Danik, Gerg, a male Zabrak named Zeffan, and I all crouched behind a large garbage bin in the dark alley, concealed in the shadows. Our blasters were in our hands, the safety was off, and our fingers were prepared to pull the trigger when the time was right. No one else had volunteered to take this bounty, so the four of us had stood up and asked for the job, knowing that it was dangerous but that the pay was well.

This was my seventh bounty I had done with my brother and I could tell I was starting to get used to the job. As long as I didn't get personally attached to my target (which wasn't too hard to do) I'd be alright with pulling the trigger. I know that it sounds like a horrible job, but it had to be done by someone. And the Rancor Slayers and I were the only ones willing to step up to the plate.

It had been two years since I had first joined my brother in his bounty hunter gang. It was even more amazing than I dreamed it would be. Sure the bounties were bloody and messy sometimes, but the Rancor Slayers were a family. The family Danik and I had been dreaming of for years, ever since my father left us. Now we were happily living in the Rancor Slayer base which was set up in a field a few miles outside of Alderaan's capitol city. We had plenty of food to eat, water to drink, friends to talk to, and were always occupied with things to do. It was the perfect life for my brother and I.

After a moment, we heard the door to the bar's kitchen slowly open and a man stepped into view. The creaking sound from the door's hinges was followed by a bunch of drunk mumbling, then a shout of shock as we blasted the man in the chest, four electric deadly bullets of plasma energy struck the death blow. The man fell to the ground and Zeffan stood up. He walked over to our target and checked his pulse. Zeffan looked at us and nodded.

"He's dead." Zeffan confirmed. We all stood up and stretched. We had been crouched down low behind that dumpster for at least an hour, waiting for our target to come out in a drunken stupor. Now that our job was nearly over, I could tell we were all relieved. Zeffan and Danik checked the man's pockets to see if he had anything valuable. After pulling out a small blaster from the man's left shirt pocket and a few credits from his right, they lifted the body up and began to drag it towards our speeder.

Danik never told me what our targets' names were. Sometimes it didn't make sense, but other times it did. Sometimes at night I'd stay up late and think of good reasons for him to do that. One of them would be the fact that maybe our next target would be an old friend of mine. If I found out that we were going to murder one of my friends from when I was in school, I would more than likely wimp out and not do the job.

"Denali! Are you coming, or what?" Danik called quietly from the speeder. I blinked a few times, realizing that I had been deep in thought. I put my blaster back in it's holster at my waist and slung my rifle over my shoulder. I jumped into the back of the speeder beside Gerg as Zeffan threw the dead body into the trunk of the vehicle behind us.

Gerg and I had become close over the years. Now he was like another older brother to me. He was fifteen and I was twelve, the exact same age as Danik. Gerg was always there for me. He'd help me by giving me tips when I would practice my aim, he was always my sparring partner when I would train in hand-to-hand combat, and Gerg would always save me a seat at the dinner table. He was like Danik's twin.

I yawned and looked at my watch, realizing that it was nearly three 'o'clock in the morning. I groaned in frustration. It had taken us forever to get to the stupid cantina from our base, probably five hours at the most, and now it was going to take us forever to drop off the body at the nearest garbage dump. I was always grumpy whenever I don't get enough sleep, so this was going to be very interesting if I didn't get enough shut-eye.