Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Denali sat on the bed, Padme's arm around her shoulders. Anakin had a look of pure shame on his face, as if the whole argument between Denali and Obi-Wan had been his fault. R2 beeped silently, speaking to Denali.

"Don't worry, he didn't mean it. He was just.....I don't know.....being a human. He's sorry for what he said. You'll be friends again in no time." Denali smiled at R2. Anakin had heard what he had said as well and watched as Denali stood up, stumbled over to the droid through her tears, and fell to her knees beside it. She wrapped her arms around the small mechanical robot, hugging it.

"Thank you, R2." she whispered to him. "But we aren't friends anymore. He doesn't care what happens to me. If he had, he wouldn't have acted so much like an enemy."

"Obi-Wan didn't mean what he said." Anakin chimed in. Denali stood up.

"Even if he hadn't, it still hurt. He said that I was weak, stupid, an idiot, a hidious uselss being that shouldn't have even been recruited for the mission." Denali said, putting her brave face on. Padme, Anakin, and R2 were shocked.

"It's getting late, we should get some rest if we're to leave in the morning for Corosaunt." Denali said, wanting to stop talking about her heartbreak.

"But you two are going to make up, right?" Padme asked. Dneali stopped the tears from falling, the effort was much easier now for some reason. Denali was silent for a second, the tension in the room rising till it became unbarable. She sat on the table next to Ani.

"No." Denali answered simply, draping her arm over Anakin's shoulders. Anakin had become like a little brother to her within the small amount of time they had known eachother. Denali had overheard Master Jinn speaking with Master Fisto over their commlinks that Anakin was to become a Jedi when they were finished with our mission. But Ani didn't know that yet.

"What if he apoligizes?" Anakin asked.

"I would forgive him, it's what a good Jedi would do. But the close relationship we had...." Denali trailed off. She removed her hand from Ani's shoulders, hopping off of the table. Padme stood up.

"But the mission, how are you two going to work together with all this tension?" she asked Denali. The Padawan shrugged her shoulders.

"We just won't. I'll stay with my Master at all times and he'll stay with his. I'll just stay as far away from him as possible." Denali stated simply.

"What if he tries to talk to you?" Ani asked.

"Then I will keep the conversation strictly professional. If he brings up what happened tonight, I will simply state that it's off topic and not important anymore. Simple as that. I shouldn't have gotten so attached to him in the first place. Jedi aren't suppose to get attached. I broke the rule, and this is where it got me." Denali said as she picked up Obi-Wan's pillow. She knew it was his, it smelled like him. Like a fresh breeze oceann breeze.

"We should get some sleep." she said as she picked up Obi-Wan's blanket.

"Those are-"

"I know who they belong to." Denali said as she made her way to the door.

"Where are you going?" Padme asked.

"You aren't actually taking those to him after what he said, are you?" R2 asked her.

"Yes, R2. I'm taking these to him. He's probably sitting on the couch, trying to fall asleep but he's too uncomfortable." Denali said as she made her way towards the door.

"You're too nice, Denali."

"I agree with R2. You're being too kind to him." Anakin stated.

"Yes, Denali. After everything he did-"

"I'm putting it behind me like a responsible Jedi." Denali told Padme. "Now if you'll excuse me."

She opened the door to the bedroom, closing it behind her after she had walked out. The pillow was in her right hand, the blanket in her left. But as she strided into the livingroom, she noticed that Obi-Wan was no where to be found. Then a sad thought struck her. Maybe he hadn't come inside the house at all.

'Obi-Wan?' she thought to him.

No reply.

'Obi, please tell me you haven't started ignoring me.' she thought again.

Still no reply.

'You're outside, aren't you? Please come back.' she thought as she walked over to the door. She pressed the green button and the door suddenly opened. Denali stepped outside and saw Obi-Wan, sleeping, his back against the sandy wall of the little dome. She kneeled beside him and saw in the dim light that his eyes were red. Possibly from tears.

She slowly lifted her hand, gently pressing it against his cheek. It was cold. That didn't surprise her, the desert was really hot during the day, but the temperature would decrease rapidly at night. She gently nudged his shoulder after putting her hand down.

"Obi....Obi-Wan, wake up." she whispered to him in the dark. Obi-Wan's eyes fluttered open. Shock filled them as he realized who was waking him. She grabbed his hand, pulling him to his feet.

"Denali, I'm-"

"Padawan Kenobi, it doesn't matter anymore. We should worry about tomorrow." she said as she handed him his pillow and blanket. He stared at her, feelings mixed of hurt and shock. She lead him into the house, closing the door behind them and keeping out the cold. She realized just how freezing Obi-Wan was by his constant shivering, his teeth chattering.

She wanted to warm him, to hug him and hold him tight til he couldn't breathe. But she knew that he didn't care for her. If he truly did, he wouldn't have thought those mean things about her. He wouldn't have announced them out loud.

"Good night, Padawan Ken-"

"Please, forgive me." Obi-Wan took her hands, dropping the pillow and blanket to the floor. His palms felt like ice. She stood there for a second, not looking up at him. But after a few seconds, she pulled her hands away.

"What's done is done. We shouldn't have let our relationship spiral out of control like that in the first place. I should've seen this coming. I was just a stupid girl, thinking that this was worth it." she stated, turning around the leave. Thank goodness the others were asleep, otherwise Denali knew she would've gotten some strange questions about their conversation.

"No, it's worth it. I know it is. I was just-"

"It's over, Obi. We're done when we should not have even started in the first place," she said to him, her words as cold as the night outside. "Now good night, Padawan Kenobi." she turned on her heal, marching briskly back into Anakin's room, where Padme and Anakin were already asleep. Padme was sleeping on the bed, Anakin on the floor.

'Did it go well?" R2 beeped silently.

"Sure, R2. You could say that." she said sarcasticlly as she lay down on the ground, on the cold floor, her eyes drooping shut as sleep took over her.