Chapter Thirty-Eight

They landed on Naboo soon after. Denali walked down the landing ramp of the ship, taking a deep breath as she inhaled the clean air. She wished that she had been born on Naboo, had a normal mother, father, maybe even a brother or sister. She wanted to say that she had a normal background before she had come to the Jedi Temple. She didn't want to say that she had been living with her abusive brother before she had joined the Jedi, she didn't want the authority to state the fact that her mother had been murdered by a droid fleet and that her father had abandoned her.

She wanted to say that she had lived with a loving family, that she had spent her childhood on a planet as beautiful as Naboo. Alderaan had been quite amazing as well, but now the only thing the planet possessed were horrible memories and empty shells of her past. If she had had the choice to do things over, to choose which family she was from and what planet she could've been born on, she would've chosen to be born into a normal family on the small, yet beautiful, planet of Naboo.

"Isn't it just amazing?" Denali said with a smile as she Padme walked down the ramp beside her.

"Yes, it's quite breath-taking. But then again, home will always be breath-taking to me." Padme said. Denali was silent as she realized that no matter how badly she wanted to, she would never have the right to call this beautiful planet her home. She would never have the authority to claim that this was the world where she belonged, where she had been born and raised.

Denali wandered away from the group, but not too far. The only thing she wanted to do was seek refuge for a moment, to have a few minutes of peace and quiet. She needed to think, to clear her mind. Her thoughts had become so jumbled since the next part of her mission had begun, ever since the horrible chat with Master Windu in the Council chambers.

She silently crept through the woods, making sure that when she turned around, the ship was always in sight. She could see the silver gleam from the sunlight as it hit the metal. Then she would continue, drifting farther and farther away from the Jedis' stronghold. The Force seemed to have been pulling her in a certain direction, deeper and deeper into the woods. She was fine with following it, but she always looked over her shoulder to make sure she didn't stray too far away. The last thing she needed was Obi-Wan to have a panic-attack if he discovered her missing.

She continued to march on, the Force leading her away from her group. She knew that as soon as Jar Jar and Jeesa returned from speaking to the Gungan leaders, her master would want to get a move on. But the pull on her heart was so strong, it felt like someone had wrapped their fingers around it, trying to yank it out of her chest if she didn't obey it's wishes. So she kept going, the trees became thicker, the grass became taller, and a strange mist seemed to have formed over the ground. But she didn't stop, even after realizing that she had lost sight of the ship.

She stopped walking and began to sprint, wanting badly to find the source of the surge of energy that was pulling her. She didn't stop, even though beads of sweat were beginning to pour down her neck and face. Her breath became un-steady as she continued to run, her heart beating at a rapid pace. She could tell that whenever she was tired or exhausted in some way, the Force-Sensitive people around her could feel her loss of energy as well. And as if right on cue, her com link began to beep. But she didn't remove it from her belt. She kept going. She was determined to find the source.

Then, just as the pull became nearly unbearable, she parted a large clump of grass, looking around at her surroundings. She glanced around, unsure of what she would find. Then she looked down and gasped. Laying on the ground, was a pile of old rags. Denali scoffed and began to pace back and forth, trying to comprehend the fact that she had somehow been drawn to a pile of old and ragged clothes. She just didn't understand it.