Chapter Four

Chapter Four

He watched her sleep, a concerned and thoughtful look on his face. The Jedi master was perplexed as he observed the poor girl's actions as she rested. Her long blonde hair was pulled back in a neat braid, her face was pale, sweat covered her entire body, and she shook slightly. Every once and awhile she would murmur an audible word, but she would usually something like 'No' or 'Stop'. Qui-Gon would wonder about the words she spoke, but didn't let his hopeless worrying get the best of him.

After a few minutes, the twi'lek teenage girl he had seen in the waiting room walked in. She looked at him, her eyes filled with an unimaginable amount of hatred, and leaned against the wall, her arms crossed. He pretended not to notice her arrival and continued to watch the little twelve-year-old girl in her medical bed. The Jedi master wasn't caught off guard when the twi'lek spoke.

"You're going to take her from us." she spat with anger quietly, making sure not to wake up the little girl. Qui-Gon removed his gaze from Denali, stood up, and looked at the twi-lek. The anger erased from her eyes as he lifted his hand, his palm facing her. He waved it infront of her blank face as he spoke, his voice clear as water.

"You will respect the decision of the Jedi Council and allow your friend to be trained in the Jedi Arts." he said, using a Jedi Mind-trick on the mind of the teenager. She was silent as she stared at him, then began to spoke. But what she said wasn't what Qui-Gon wanted to hear.

"I.... I won't." Zendara spat, rage filling her words. "Your tricks won't work on me, Jedi. I've been the leader of the Rancor Slayers long enough that every single one of it's members knows that I'm not weak-minded. I am surprised that a man such as yourself would stoop to such a desperate level. Just give up, Jedi. You have no right to steal her from us, from her brother, from her true family. What makes you think she even wants to be a jedi?"

"I believe that we all have our choices. Denali may want to become a Jedi, and she may not. Only time will tell. We will be taking her to Corasaunt whether you like it or not, but her stay may not be permanent there. She will stay there under my super-vision for a week, then we will return her here if she does not want to become a Jedi apprentice." Qui-Gon told the girl.

"Why should I trust you? You could brain-wash her as soon as you left Alderaan so that she would say she wants to become a Jedi, whether she wants to or not. You could cause her more harm than good and we wouldn't know anything about it till it was too late."

"I asssure you, Zendara. No harm will come to Denali when she stays at the Temple. I or my padawan will be with her at all necessary times so she will be safe. Master Yoda will want to speak with her, and possibly the rest of the Council-"

"Will you take her in this state? When she's near death?"

"No, we will wait til she is in better condition. Then we will leave-"

"She'd be back in a week? Do you mean an Alderaan week or a Corasaunt week? We both know that the time-zones are different on each planet. How long exactly will she be gone?" Zendara asked as they walked out of the room and into the hall. Qui-Gon walked with his hands crossed, just as Zendara was doing.

"I'll contact you when the week is up. It won't be very long, just a few days. The purpose for this visit to the Jedi Temple is just for her to see what becoming a Jedi would be like. I believe that her training won't be as hard for her since I've heard she is already very skilled with hand-to-hand combat. That is a very good thing, I'm impressed with how well you've trained her. The easier this is for her, the better." Qui-Gon said as doctors and nurses passed them as they walked.

"I've trained her in the ways of a bounty hunter, not the Jedi. She hasn't been prepared for your teachings, she'll take the change very poorly." Zendara stated.