Chapter Twenty-Three

Anakin, R2, C-3PO, and I all hung out together for the next few hours in his bedroom, talking about mechanics and robotics. Padme and Jeesa had left the room to help Shmi with dinner. I could tell Anakin was surprised that I knew so much about the tech things he liked, I even knew how much power it took to make a podracer engine run. He was definately impressed with that one.

"Where did you learn all of this?" he asked me as I helped him finish up C-3PO. I used one of his tools to screw in the last of the bolts on 3PO's back.

"I spend my free time on Corasaunt in the repair quarters. I work on droids and fixing up old space-shuttles, speeders, and other vehicles. It takes up alot of my time, but I'd rather be surrounded by droids than the other Padawans." I told him.

"Don't you ever get lonely?" he asked me. I shrugged.

"Hanging out with the droids is really fun, and I have my Master if I need to talk to him about something."

"Who's your Master?"

"Jedi Master Kit Fisto. He's really cool. But he stayed behind at the ship with Ob-" I stopped myself. "I mean Padawan Kenobi." I corrected myself. Anakin sat on the desk 3PO was sitting on. The young boy picked up one of his tools and began to examine it.

"You sound like you have a history with Padawan Kenobi." he said.

"We've been friends for awhile." I said as I polished off a piece of metal, then attached it to one of 3PO's red wires within his chest. Anakin watched me, then asked another question.

"How long?"

"Four years, even before I was a Padawan." I explained.

"When did you meet?" he asked, obviously interested in my past. It was peculiar to me how everyone wanted to know who I was and where I was from. I assumed that I must've been quite and interesting subject to everyone. I was fine with talking about my past, especially to the people I could trust. And I knew I could trust Anakin. I sat down on the table next to him, our shoulders touching.

"Well, it all started a long time ago. When I was very little, my mother, Jedi Master Denaro-"

"Your mother was a Jedi?" Anakin asked, his jaw hanging open. I nodded.

"Yeah, she was amazing. Even though she was always away on Jedi buisness, she had been a great mother."

"What happened to her?" Anakin asked me.

"Well, the Seperatists attacked my home planet, Alderaan. Battle droids invaded the small village I lived in. We tried to run, my father, mother, brother, and I. I was still very young, so my mother had to carry me. As we were running down the street, trying to escape into the nearest field, she was shot in the back and dropped me. My coward of a father picked my brother and I up, abandoning my mother in the middle of the street. She died a horrible death, and the worst part is my older brother and I had to watch." I said, crossing my arms as I looked at the floor.

"I'm sorry, that sounds horrible." Anakin said to me. I just shrugged.

"It was a long time ago, so talking about it doesn't hurt as much."

"But it stilll does, doesn't it?" Anakin said to me. I looked at him, a small smile on my lips as I ruffled up his hair once again. He smiled up at me.

"It doesn't hurt when I tell someone I trust, so it doesn't hurt me when I tell you about it." I said.

"I'm happy you can trust me." he told me. After a moment of silence, Anakin spoke again. "So...what happened after that?"

"Well, after my mother's death, my father abandoned my brother and I soon after. The last thing he said to us was that he needed to go clear his mind by taking a walk. My father never returned after that."

"What if something happened to him?" Anakin asked. I just shook my head, stood up, and began to pace.

"I thought of that, but my father was a very respectable man. At least to his friends, my brother and I weren't very big fans of him after he left our mother behind. But anyway, after my father didn't come home that night, we starting asking people if they had seen him. A woman at the ship yard said that he had bought a ship and left without telling anyone where he was going." I told him. He was the first person I had ever told about the way my father left. He was silent for a moment as he looked at the floor.

"Maybe he just doesn't understand. Humans tend to be a little more thick-headed than necessary." R2 said.

"I'm trying to, R2." Anakin said. I blinked, shocked.

"You can understand him too?" I asked.

"Yeah." Anakin said.

"Awesome!" I said with a huge smile.

"Denali, Anakin, supper's almost ready." I heard Shmi's voice come from the kitchen. Anakin jumped down from the table and we walked out of his bedroom, leaving R2 and 3PO behind. But just before we entered the kitchen, my commlink started to beep. Anakin looked at me, hearing the loud noise and wondering what it was. I gave him a reassured smile.

"Excuse me, Anakin. I'll only be a second. You can go ahead and start eating without me." I said to him. And with that, I made my way back to his room so that no one would hear me speak. I didn't want anyone ease-dropping if the matter was important. I pulled my commlink out, pressing the flashing green button.

"Denali here." I said.

"How has the mission been going?" I heard Master Fisto's voice said through the commlink.

"Well, we've been searching for the right parts, but when we finally found a place that had them, the shop-owner didn't want what we had to offer." I explained.

"Qui-Gon told me something about that. He also said that you have taken shelter in a stranger's home."

"Anakin is not a stranger. He's a nice boy, and his mother has been very kind to us."

"But what do you know about those people? How do you know they aren't lying to you?" Master Fisto asked. I made sure my voice was hushed so that the people in the other room couldn't hear what I was about to tell my Master.

"They're slaves, Master. They don't have any reason to harm us." I told him. He was silent for a moment and I could tell he was deep in thought.

"Alright, that's all the information I need. Thank you, Denali. Master Fisto out." Kit said as he turned his commlink off. I turned mine off as well, ready to go have some of that delicious dinner Shmi, Padme, and Jeesa had prepared. I was starving, I hadn't eaten anything all day, so it had felt like my stomach was trying to eat me from the inside-out ever since noon.