The Solution

I could hear whispers from behind me. I had to go back. I closed my eyes and tried to hear what was occurring.

'She shouldn't be here.'

Someone seemed to not be fond of me.

'She needs a chance.'

Who was that? I focused harder, but not being obvious to Bucky.

Tony. And Steve? Yeah, yeah, Tony and Steve. Tony is disapproving and Steve is fighting for me. Seems about right, I think.

I opened my eyes and turned around. Natasha nudged Steve and Steve stopped talking. Everyone did. They all just stared at me. I breathed in and out, counting the times my chest expanded, calming myself.

Everyone's heads were tense and wild. Especially mine. Bucky was still by the window, and Steve was thinking of ways to calm Tony. Tony was thinking of ways to kick me out. Clint and Sam were giddy in their head, watching the two fight each other like little kids. Natasha and Nick were internally shaking their heads at all the idiots in the room, and Bruce was just taking everything in. It was so much. I never went out of my house, so the only emotions I could read were my own and my parents. This was a challenge. It was much harder to shut them out of my head, than it was let them in.

"Darby, are you okay?" Steve asked, standing up.

I nodded my head and looked down.

Breathe in, breathe out.

"Yeah, I'm, I'm fine, it's just a lot to take in," I sighed.

"It's okay, we understand. We can get you into a room and give you some space," Fury assured.

"Actually, I don't know if her being by herself would be the best idea. I'm not saying someone needs to babysit her, but for her safety, I think she should bunk with someone else," Bruce spoke up.

Fury turned away and pulled Bruce with him. They whispered but it was no use, I could hear them anyways.

"What are you talking about Banner?" Fury bugged.

"Darby's parents kept her confined to her house and she rarely ever went outside, that's why it was so easy to track her because she was always in the same spot. She is in a new environment and probably doesn't even know what to do with herself," Bruce stated.

I fiddled with my thumbs and kept my head low. I read books most of the time when I was at home, so I had some idea of the outside world. Mom did let me out every once in a while when it snowed. I loved the way snow felt. In books, snow was always described as something magical, and it truly was. Maybe they would let me go outside if it snowed.

Bruce looked back at me and inched closer to Fury. "I suggest she stay with one of them."

"But who? Natasha? Maybe she can bond with Darby," Fury said.

"I actually have another idea. He's almost as much as a risk as Darby is, but I think his past at Hydra might help them relate better," Bruce trailed off.

"Are you suggesting who I think you are?" Fury furrowed his eyesbrows.

I looked back to the man facing the window. His hair was barely touching his shoulders, which were huge by the way. He was so beefy, in a different way that Steve was. Steve was more limber, if you can believe it. Steve seemed more flexible and swift. But Bucky, was just pure muscle. From his chest, to his arms, to even his thighs, he was solid. Probably why Hydra kept him for so long, what made him so dangerous.

"I think that Barnes is a good candidate. They have already had some sort of interaction, so maybe she felt more comfortable with him. Maybe she read his mind or what not and saw something that interested her, I have no idea. Anyways, I think that if that timid young girl out there felt more comfortable with the one person that we are all cautious around the most, she must know something that we don't."

"I agree. Maybe in the meantime of Darby's recovery, she can open up Barnes in a way that we can't. I think you are right, Banner," Fury turned around, everyone's eyes on him, awaiting a response.

"Barnes," Fury declared. Bucky whipped around and stood closer to the group. "Banner and I have discussed and came to a conclusion. Until we know where Darby fits in here, she needs to bunk with someone," his eyes met Bucky's. "We want Darby to stay with you Barnes, no questions asked."

"What are you-" Tony started.

"No. Questions. Asked." he interrupted.