The Thoughts

Tony sat back in his seat and covered his hands over his face.

I glanced back at Bucky and felt the anxiety in him slip away. His head was murky, like a fog.

'Thank you, Banner.'

He was thankful to be with me? No. That couldn't be right, could it?

Bucky nodded and smiled at me. My chest got a little flustered.

"Darby, does this sound good to you?" Fury asked, watching me and Bucky stare at each other, for what felt like an eternity.

'Yes. Say yes. Please say yes. I need this, please.'

I shook myself out of his head and took a breath. I swiveled on my feet and rubbed my clammy hands against each other.

I nodded and Bucky's thoughts punched themselves right back in my head.

'Yes. Thank you. '

'What a pretty name, Darby.'

I tried to hide a smile, noticing everyone looking at me. No one else could hear Bucky's thoughts, only me. And him, of course. I tried not to blush but I've never really been talked about that way from a guy. He liked my name, which I had never thought about before.

I think Bucky is a much cuter name, to be honest.

Ha, good thing Bucky can't hear me think.

"Good. Tony, resupply Bucky's room and send new clothes for Darby to wear. Have a good day," Fury stated before prominently stomping out of the room with Sam Wilson and Bruce following.

Tony huffed and ordered someone named Jarvis to do what Fury said. Whoever this Jarvis was, I couldn't read his mind, or sense him at all for that matter.

"Um, Darby," Bucky came up behind me and tapped on my shoulder.

I turned around and his face softened.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

I nodded shyly, trying not the look to deep into his crystal eyes. He smiled sweetly and led me out of the room and into his.

As I passed, I heard mumbles in my ears that weren't there.

I grazed by Natasha first, she had a hand on Steve's shoulder.

'I wonder how she'd be able to fight, we have to get her out in the field.'

The field?! That is not really what I'd want to be doing right now.

I glanced at Steve and he nodded with a small grin.

'I hope she's alright here. Take care of her Bucky.'

Aw.

Then we passed Tony and he was letting it loose in his head, like someone set his brain on fire.

'She's too dangerous. She is no good here. She'll just hurt herself and everyone else around here.'

Tony had his head down but his words still
hurt.

'She probably would have been better off in the alleyway.'

I stopped walking for a second and glared at Tony with sore eyes. I could feel my face getting hot, and my eye sockets about to push my eyeballs out of my head with forceful tears.

'Crap. Can she hear me?'

I winced at Tony and his eyes met mine. I gritted my teeth and shook my head. His eyes grew wide and he backed up a little.

'Watch yourself Stark, you never know when someone might be listening.'

He got a little freaked out and it was pretty funny. I tried to hide my intimidation behind a snarky grin, but I think I shook him up enough that he didn't notice.

Dad always said never to mess with someone's head. He said it was rude and that people should be able to keep their thoughts to themselves.

If Dad were here right now though, he probably would have scrapped that idea and said to stick up for yourself, especially if arrogant billionaires were wishing you dead.

So I would have hoped. Dad was always on my side.

If Mom were here however, she would have told me to just walk away. She wasn't a jokester like Dad was. When something was wrong, Dad would use humor to play it off or make me feel better. Not Mom. She would sit with me and just talk. We could for hours and hours it seemed. And when I didn't feel like talking, she'd let me go outside and play in the snow. When I got too old to shove my snow boots on and frolic through the cold, she would make me hot chocolate or tea and leave me alone in my room. After giving me a big momma bear hug, that is.

I miss them.