The Mint Leaf

"Natasha. I thought it would be nice for you two to meet. She's really sweet when you get to know her."

"Oh I don't know Bucky. I'm not comfortable with the others the way that I am with you. They look at me like I'm some sort of bomb waiting to go off," I mumbled.

"Oh gosh Darby, you need to stop telling yourself that. When you keep telling yourself something bad is going to happen, it will. You just need to tell yourself that they'll like you for who you are," he reassured me, placing an arm around my shoulders.

"But they won't ever see me the way that you do Buck."

"Maybe that's true. But you need to at least give them a chance. Not everyone is going to be as stubborn as Tony, you know," he looked down at me, the corners of his lips curling up.

"I guess so," I hummed as Bucky kissed the top of my head.

"Good," he smiled.

There was a knock at the door and Bucky opened it. Natasha greeted him and then walked towards me. I could already feel weights being tied to my limbs, making it feel impossible to move.

"Hi Darby, I'm Natasha Romanoff," she smiled,  her red hair radiating against the light from outside.

I looked over her shoulder quickly and saw Bucky nod his head at me.

'Hi Natasha. Nice to meet you.'

"Woah, that was cool. Tony told me about that, but it really is neat in person," she gestured.

Bucky smiled at me again and stepped out of the living room and into the kitchen. He reproached with another mug of hot chocolate and handed it to Natasha, who thanked him quickly.

"Do you wanna sit?" she asked, pointing to the couch beside us.

I nodded silently and plopped myself on the far edge of the couch. I felt so tense and awkward, I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I set my cup on the table by my feet and fiddled with my thumbs.

"You're awfully quiet, huh?" she nodded.

I just pursed my lips and shrugged.

"Quite like your bestie Bucky over there, right?" she glanced over at Bucky who was in the corner of the room, finishing his mug.

I couldn't help but smile at him. I wanted to stay quiet because I could feel my hands getting clammier by the second and I didn't know what words would come out of my mouth. I didn't want to seem rude though, so I hummed in response.

Another knock came at the door and my head shot around. Bucky was conveniently at the door and opened it wide enough for him to see who was there, but closed enough to block my view.

Bucky conversed a little too quietly, nodded, and then shut the door.

I looked over at him and furrowed my brows.

'Who was that?'

He strolled over silently, obviously avoiding the question.

"Um, Darby, that was Steve. I have to leave with him to go on a mission," he mumbled.

I stood up and paced around the couch, rubbing my hands together.

'Is that why you were being so nice to me this morning? Is that what the hot chocolate and singing was about? Is...is Natasha here to babysit me while you leave?'

'No, of course not'

'Then why did you do those things coincidently before you needed to leave?'

"Because I care about you, Darby," he silenced me aloud. Natasha seemed startled at the long silence and Bucky's sudden reply to me.

"I did those things because I want you to be happy. I wanted you to wake up happily for once. The past couple of days have been hard and I just really wanted you to feel like you were welcome here."

There was a long pause before I felt my chest get tighter.

"I'm sorry," I moped hesitantly.

"Don't be," he whispered.

Bucky came up to me and grabbed my arms with his hands.

"Listen to me Darby. Are you listening?" he questioned.

I nodded my head quickly.

"Okay. I will be gone today, but Natasha is going to take good care of you-"

"No Bucky, you can't! I can't-"

"Yes you will. Take a deep breath."

Inhale. Pause. Exhale.

"Good. You will be fine. I won't be gone long. Just watch tv and listen to more music. I'll be back in no time. Promise me you'll be fine," he rubbed circles into my arms with his thumbs, patiently awaiting an answer.

I hesitated a little as the dread in me was about to bubble over me. "I promise."

"Good. I'll need my friend when I get back," Bucky perked up and kissed my forehead.

He raced out of the room and looked back at me before leaving.

'And don't lose my sweatshirt while I'm gone.'

He kind of reminded me of Dad at that moment, telling a joke before leaving the house or putting me to bed. The creases in the corners of his eyes lit up from getting the hang of communicating with me telepathically. It was more comfortable for me to talk that way, and I think I he liked it that way too.

A clothes hanger seemed to crook in my mouth because I smiled so wide my cheeks hurt. The scent of minty wisps shot through my senses. That same calming smell stuffed itself up my nose, almost forcing me to take another whiff, like an addiction. Was getting addicted to someone's smell a symptom of going psycho?

Probably.

I was too busy lifting his sweatshirt up to my nose to notice him walk out.

There goes my walking musky mint leaf of a friend. The sweetest, smartest, kindest mint leaf I've ever met.

You get what I mean.

Hey!! Thank you for reading, and I can't wait to post more parts! Please vote and comment and tell me how you like it! Thanks!! :))))