The Likes and Dislikes

"It's cool," I said.

"What?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Your arm. It's cool. I really like it," I looked down at my feet.

'Really? Everyone else hates me for it.'

"Thanks," he lied.

I tried to hide the fact that I could understand every thought that ran through his mind.

"I don't supposed we could sit in the living room and maybe get to know each other better," he proposed.

"I'd like that," I agreed.

We wandered back to the living room and I sat on the leather couch set in the middle. Bucky slouched onto a recliner opposite of me.

"So Darby, what are some things you like and dislike?" he started out.

Oh gosh. No one had ever asked me that. My likes and dislikes were just that, they were something I never had to think about. If any of the others would have asked me this question, I probably would have passed out from pure anxiety. I still have some level of stress bubbling inside of me, but Bucky's calm face kind of helped put me at ease.

"Hm," I paused, trying to hide the utter fear that came from being asked a personal question, "I like reading. And hot chocolate. Oh, and snow, can't forget about that. I also like Maroon 5, literally any of their songs make me happy. And Friends, it's classic."

Bucky's face seemed to agree and he nodded, but I could tell he had no idea what I was talking about. Something about him was a little off.

"Have you ever listened to Maroon 5?"

He suddenly realized that was a band, but shook his head.

"Watched Friends?"

He shook his head again. I sensed he was slightly embarrassed, so I had to play it off.

"I'll just have to sit and do those things with you then," I sighed jokingly, his face relaxing.

"Don't forget your dislikes," he added.

"Spiders. They scare the crap out of me. If there is a spider in this place, never ever ask me to squish it," I laughed, making him smile.

"I can take care of the spiders for you then," he assured.

"I also dislike the color orange. Oh and corn, it makes me want to gag."

"Corn? Are you serious? Who doesn't like corn?"

"Me, that's who," I grinned.

"Alrighty then. I'll remember to squish all the spiders and never invite you to an orange-themed corn potluck," he chuckled.

His laugh was deep and rough, but still soft. The creases in the corner of his eyes showed when he smiled, and sometimes he never showed his teeth when he did.

"Where are you from?" he asked.

"Staten Island, Arden Heights to be exact."

"I used to travel to from Brooklyn to Eltingville to visit my folks, so I was in that area every so often," he stated, placing a hand on his cheek, "of course that was a very long time ago," he trailed off, clearly not wanting to go any further than that.

If I could only open that sealed safe tucked in his mind.

"That's nice," I answered, not exactly knowing where the conversation would go next.

'What do I ask her now? How exactly does one go about asking about special powers...'

"I um, I'm sure you'd like to see what I can do. I promise I won't do anything crazy," I tried to say without coming off too strongly.

"Do whatever you are comfortable with," he grinned, relieved that I brought it up before him.

I nodded and looked around for something I could show him. There was a candle set on the other side of the room. It was small enough that it would be easy to put out.

I gestured for Bucky to turn his eyes in my direction. His gaze swiveled and glimpsed at the candle in front of us. I fixed my eyes on it and focused. The flame started to wander side to side and then eventually subside. In a snap it burnt out and smoky ash started to rise from the waxy tip.

"Simple enough, eh?" I joked.

"Very nice Darby," he smiled.

I looked around and found the light switch. I flickered the lights on and off, making Bucky look around at the room.

"I can only show you the lame tricks because I'm scared I could blow the place up or something," I forced a smile and looked down. "But I think that's a good place to start," I added. "You'll see a little bit here and there. I'll try not to show off too much," I giggled quietly, trying not to sound too arrogant.

I liked joking around at home, but my parents were used to it. I didn't exactly know how other people would react, good or bad.

"Agree," Bucky nodded, shedding a small grin.

Good reaction.

I stood up from the couch and wandered towards the stairs.

"Well...I think I'm going to rest just for a little bit, it's been kind of a long day," I shrugged.

"I'll see you when you're ready then," he smiled and waved.

I turned away and started climbing up the stairs.

'Nice legs.'

I turned back and Bucky's face was furrowed.

"What?" he asked innocently, looking up at you.

"I heard that," I smirked.

"But...I didn't say anything," he asked, perplexed.

"Okay, whatever you say," I hummed and turned back around.

'And I think you have nice thighs, but you don't see me gawking at them either, do you?'

I knew it was safe to assume I could joke around with Bucky. The others might not take it as friendly as I would like. I couldn't my see his face but undoubtedly I knew his jaw was dropped right now.

He didn't say anything else the rest of the afternoon.

Hey everyone! I know this is kind of a late author's note but if you have gotten to this point I just want to thank you so much for reading! I'm so excited for this story that I have like five unpublished chapters that are ready to go when you guys are! I am really looking forward to one chapter in particular, and I loved how it turned out. Please vote and comment on how you liked it! You guys are amazing :))))