The Ride Home

Pulsating mechanical waves were hovering above our bodies. The wind was making my hair fly around and stick to my tear-soaked face. I opened my puffy eyes and lifted my head from Bucky's chest. Steve was already attempting to pull himself up, which I immediately sprung up to help. Tony had sent another quinjet to come get us, and I walked Steve in once it had swiftly landed.

Bruce and Clint ran out and I led them to Bucky. The two grunted as they heaved Bucky into their arms and scurried into the jet. Clint jogged back outside and we ran to the broken fighter to get Nat and Sam. Clint and Nat both put an arm under Sam and dragged him along the dirt leaving an imprint in the ground as they went. Once everyone was inside, Tony closed the doors from the pilot seat and lifted us back into the air.

Everyone was silent, but my mind was tortured by the things they were saying in their head. No matter how nice a person is, they will always have something bad to say, even if they don't actually say it. Even Steve was cursing me for going along on the mission, but was stammering at Natasha more for letting me.

I sat in the corner with my knees pulled up to my chin. I crossed my arms and sunk my head between them, involuntary tears falling onto my lap. Tony couldn't keep his thoughts in one place and the worst thing was that I didn't want to slap him for it, I wanted to slap myself. Imagine if Hydra would have just kept me that little bit longer and waited until I died. Sam would be fine, Steve wouldn't have gotten shot, and Bucky would have a stronger pulse than he did now.

I wanted to go home to my parents, if they were even there. I wanted to cuddle up in my bed and read a book. I wanted to watch a movie with my cat in my lap and my mom and dad by my side. But no, I just had to be in a fighter jet with Tony freaking Stark and the Avengers who were scared of nothing, except me. All of them had an equal amount of fear and hatred for me. At least when people fear you, you stay alive. That's why Hydra threw me out. They weren't scared. That craphole hated anything and everything that moved or breathed. I would have made a fine asset if my body hadn't given up on me. I've clearly proven that I'm utterly cowardly, making it a likely theory that I probably would have stayed with Hydra if they had kept me.

The quinjet landed with a hard thump and my head shot up. Everyone was looking at me, but my eyes were stuck on Bucky. My strong Bucky.

I remained still as the group rushed Buck and Steve to the infirmary, with another group of doctors aiding Sam. I knew Tony walked by because I could hear him gruff at me as his sneakers squeaked against the hard metal.

A pair of footsteps approached and sat on the floor besides me.

"Hey, are you alright?" Clint placed a hand on my arm, making the hairs on my skin raise.

I peered up to see Clint and Natasha focusing on me intensely, awaiting an answer. I nodded and covered my face with my hands. I inhaled deeply, but my exhale was weak and shaky, like my lungs were going to give out from crying.

"Everyone is going to be okay. Steve and Sam will pull through, I know it," Nat insisted.

I shivered and Clint's grip grew harder.

"Bucky will be okay too. We know how much he means to you. Banner is gonna fix him up and he'll be as good as new," Clint grinned.

I started shaking my head and pursing my lips.

"I did it," I whispered.

Clint and Nat scooted closer.

"Did what Darby?" Nat whispered in reply, pulling her face closer to mine.