The Revelation

I slammed the book closed, leaving tears to dry in the pages. I raised the journal to my heart and clutched it tight. I pursed my lips and counted to ten. I exhaled deeply and got up, running out the door and to the elevator.

"Jarvis, bring me to them!" I called out.

"Who would you like to see-"

"Anyone Jarvis! Anyone! Steve, Tony, Bruce, anyone! Just being me to them!" I cried, digging my fingernails into the upholstery of the book.

"Right away Miss Whitmore," he reassured in the signature calming monotone voice.

My knees shook as the elevator started to go up to who knows where. It stopped abruptly and I let out a slight cry of frustration and sorrow. The doors opened and a pair of brunette and blue eyes turned to me. I rushed in hurriedly to Steve and Tony, whose faces were burning with confusion. Hot tears kept streaming down as much as I wish they wouldn't.

"What's going on here?" Tony gestured with his eyes furrowed.

Steve came to me and put his hands on my shoulders.

"What is wrong Darby? Darby, look at me," Steve went on, uselessly trying to calm me down.

I shook my head and mumbled to myself over and over again. Bucky is gone. Bucky is gone.

"Come on, kid, spit it out!" Tony pushed, leaning in closer.

Steve held a hand out on Tony's chest and kneeled down to get leveled with me.

"Darby," he whispered.

I shot up and exhaled quickly with a slight cry out.

"Bucky is gone," I mumbled.

"What are you talking about?" Steve questioned while shaking his head, still maintaining a calm tone.

"Bucky is gone," I repeated.

"Yeah we get that, Barnes is gone. Where did he go?" Tony crossed his arms.

"I don't know," I shrugged, trying to wipe my eyes as water simultaneously slid down my cheek. There was so much more to what I wanted to say, but nothing was coming out.

Tony threw his hands up and turned away.

Steve ignored Tony and kept a stern face,"Why did he leave, Darby?"

My mouth downturned and started to quiver. I felt myself losing my breath, and I knew counting to ten wasn't going to help. I felt vibrations coming from beneath me. Appliances on the counters and pictures on the walls started to quake. I knew what was happening.

Tony shot around after seeing everything, "Hey Rodgers! Calm her down!"

I closed my eyes and remembered Sam yelling that at Natasha on the quinjet. I felt myself starting to forget everything Bruce and Bucky taught me. Everything was blurry again and I felt my head getting lighter.

I fell to my knees and cupped my face in my hands. The journal fell into my lap, and ricocheted to the floor. Tony ran to my side and Steve held me close to him.

"Kid, why did Bucky leave?" Tony urged, picking up the book. He peered through, occasionally looking up to make sure nothing was about to collapse onto him.

Steve pet my hair in attempt to soothe me, but I remembered how Bucky did that to me for the same reason. My heart was aching for Bucky, while at the same time feeling completely and utterly confused towards him.

"Oh my god," Tony mumbled.

"What is it?" Steve replied, rocking me back and forth like a baby.

Tony was silent as the walls shook around him. He slowly looked up at Steve and shook his head. He bite his lip and sighed hard.

"Barnes killed her parents."