Chapter Seven

By the time Blaine got to our little house, I had had plenty of time for my nerves to build up again. Why was watching a movie in mixed company no big deal until you were going to be watching one with someone you like and who may like you back? Suddenly it becomes an intense activity full of tension. Will there be snuggling? Hand holding? Kissing? Where do I sit? How do I sit? Where will he sit? See? The possibilities were endless.

     I must have switched my seat around five times before settling on the right side of the smaller couch. I was wearing a pair of star print pajama bottoms and my Hogwarts alumni sweater. I had fretted over wearing it, worried about whether Blaine would think that it was nerdy and childish but decided that it would be best to just be myself. He actually liked it so I had worried for nothing. Typical. Blaine had taken the seat next to me, my roommates having conveniently taken up all the other seating options.

     Jackie had just put Pirates of the Caribbean:The Curse of the Black Pearl in the dvd player when there was a knock on our door.

     "I wonder who that is?" Tessa said. She untangled herself from her comforter and went to open the door. It was Robert, Amber's friend.

     Robert grinned and walked in. "Hey, I was driving by and wondered what you girls were up to, so I thought I'd stop by."

     Amber came in from the kitchen carrying a big bowl of popcorn. "I grabbed some..." She stopped when she saw Robert standing in the living room. "Robert, what are you doing here?"

     Robert smiled and moved closer to her. "I haven't seen you in awhile so I decided I'd stop by and see if you wanted to hang out."

     Amber looked a little flustered but composed herself rather quickly. "Well we were just about to watch a movie."

     "That's cool. Mind if I join you?" Robert said.

     I caught Tessa's eye and tried to will her with my mind not to laugh. Tessa had a mischievous grin on her face. She gathered up her blanket and slid onto the floor. "Here, you guys can have the couch."

     "Thanks." Robert said. He plopped down in the middle seat. Amber shot Tessa a dirty look as she sat down next to him.

     "Ready?" Jackie asked. She was on the other side of Robert. I noticed that she had tucked her feet up under her and was curled against the arm of the couch.

     "Crazy development." Blaine whispered in my ear as the movie started. I jumped a little. With the awkward appearance of Robert, I had almost forgotten that Blaine was here. Almost.

     As the movie played I became hyper aware of his presence. It was hard to concentrate on the shenanigans of Jack Sparrow when all I could do is think about the close proximity of Blaine's hand next to mine. He smelled really good too.

     Chill out Elise, you're just watching a movie. Blaine's hand twitched, his fingertips grazed the back of my hand. Wait, is that a sign for wanting to hold my hand? They're practically touching! Why didn't I call Claire and ask her what to do in this situation. Ack! It's not like I had never held his hand before, we were dance partners, for crying out loud. This was different though and I had never held hands with a boy because I liked him.

     "Elise?" Blaine's whisper pulled me away from my thoughts. He looked at my face, which I'm sure was broadcasting my inner turmoil. He grinned, rather mischievously I thought.

     Oh crap, he knows what I'm thinking!

     "Elise, would you like some popcorn?" Blaine held out the bowl to me.