Chapter Thirty

"I feel like I haven't seen you in forever." Jackie said. It was a rare morning where we were both at home alone, no boyfriends. Blaine had to work early that morning and Dale had started feeling sick last night so Jackie had come home early.

    "I know." I said, grabbing my toast from the toaster. "Those dang boys keep us busy."

    Jackie chuckled. "Yeah, something like that. Hey, do you want to go walking with me? Dale wants to do a 5k together in the fall so I've been working on my stamina. Baby steps though."

    "Sure." I said, licking raspberry jam off of my fingers. "Let me eat this, change and then we can head out."

    Fifteen minutes later and we were out of the house. The summer heat wasn't full force yet and there was a pleasant breeze in the air. We set ourselves at a comfortable pace. Fast enough for a workout, but slow enough to chat.

    "How are things going with Dale?"

    "Good." Jackie smiled. "He's been taking a couple summer classes to speed up his graduation deadline."

    "Oh wow, why does he want to speed things up?"

    Jackie blushed. "He wants to have the flexibility to go with me if I transfer to a music school."

    "Whoa!" I stopped in surprise. "I didn't know that you were thinking of leaving."

    "It won't be for awhile. I have a scholarship here and am able to get a lot of the basics done." Jackie said as we resumed walking. "You're not getting rid of me that easy."

    "I wouldn't want to." I said. "It wouldn't be as much fun without you next year, or this year I guess since we're starting again in the fall. Well now that that giant bombshell has been dismantled, Dale wants to go with you huh? That sounds pretty serious."

    "I know right?" Jackie sounded bewildered but she looked really happy. "I mean we're so young, but I really love him. I'm really glad that he sees me in his future. Is that weird?"

    "Hmmm, I think that everyone has their own love story. Some people get together young and that's it and others get together later. I think if it works for you then you should just do what makes you happy. After all, there are people out there who marry their high school sweethearts." I said, taking a drink from my water bottle.

    "Thanks." Jackie said, looking relieved. "I think my parents would freak out if I told them any of this so it makes me feel better that you aren't." She took a drink from her own water bottle and then gave me a sly look. "So you and Blaine? Sleepovers?"

    I laughed and blushed. "Yeah, we've definitely been doing a lot of those."

    Jackie laughed at the look on my face. "There's no need to feel embarrassed. I'm actually surprised you guys waited this long. Blaine's hot and so are you."

    "It was me, I held us up. You know he's my first boyfriend."

    "So he's your first everything?"

    "Apart from a couple sloppy kisses in high school, yeah." I was starting to get worried. "Is that a bad thing?"

    "No, but it does make him pretty special." Jackie said. "He's your first love."

    "Maybe my only." I mumbled without thinking.

    Jackie's eyes shot up and her mouth fell open. "Elise, have you guys talked like, marriage and stuff?"

    "No, no, nothing like that." I stammered, wishing I hadn't let that slip out. "I just mean that I love him so much that I can't imagine ever being with anyone else."