Chapter Thirty-three

"Elise, what's wrong? Why won't you tell me what happened?" Jackie stood against my doorway, even though I was huddled in my blankets. I could see how anxious she looked and I honestly couldn't blame her. I had been acting like a crazy person.

    She hadn't seen Blaine that night because I wrenched her away once feeling had returned to my legs. I told her and Dale that I was feeling sick and wanted to go home. That was a week ago. I told Jackie that I didn't want to see or talk to Blaine and if he showed up to tell him anything to get him to leave. I texted him to leave me alone and then deleted his number. It didn't deter him from calling and texting me a million times though. I deleted everything without reading or listening to anything he left. I even went as far to switch my shifts around at the restaurant. I now worked when I knew he was too.

    I felt really weird, like an emotionless robot. I hadn't even broken down in tears yet. I didn't know how long it would last so I took advantage of it by trying to scrub Blaine out of my life. If I tried hard enough, it would be like he had never existed and I would be happy again right?

    My imaginary robot world came crashing down the Saturday night before Tessa and Amber were due to come back for school. I had just gotten off from work and was looking forward to spending a rare night alone with Jackie. I was trying really hard now to convince her that I was back to normal. As I pulled into the driveway, I saw someone sitting on our porch steps.

    Blaine.

    My stomach immediately twisted and churned. He was supposed to be working tonight. I had made Eli give me his schedule. I debated whether I should reverse out, but I didn't want to make him mad and have him come back later tonight. A confrontation was inevitable.

    I slowly got out of my car, keeping my eyes on him as if I expected him to come charging at me.. He returned my gaze, watching me as I came closer to him.

    I stopped in front of the first step. "Could you move? You're blocking my way in."

    Blaine's eyes narrowed and I noticed how tense he was. "Is that all you have to say to me?" His voice sounded extra harsh to my ears.

    "Pretty much." I started up the steps, my mind reeling. Just get inside. Inside is safe.

    Blaine didn't step out of the way so I moved around him. Before I could get my key in the lock, he grabbed my arm.

    "Let go!"

    "Elise! Why have you been avoiding me? I've called and texted a hundred times." He growled in frustration.

    "Why? Is your other girl unavailable?' I snarled, shocking myself with my bluntness. He dropped my arm and I saw a flit of alarm cross his face, but it was immediately covered up by a look of confusion.

    "What are you talking about Elise?" His eyebrows furrowed together.

    I rolled my eyes. "I saw you at the summer bash party like a week ago. You were up against a tree with some blonde, practically having sex."

    "Elise, I had to work, I couldn't have been there." The look on his face was so earnest, I almost believed him except I knew it was him, I hadn't imagined it. How many guys have the same arm tattoos? The same build? Hair? What I didn't understand was why.

    "I know what I saw Blaine, just drop the act." I just wanted to get inside and eat some ice cream.

    Blaine pursed his lips, shaking his head. "Elise, I can't believe that you're doing this again. I'm sorry that your faith in me has been so terribly shaken that you're imagining seeing me with other girls, but like I said, I was scheduled for work. And besides, even if I was seeing another girl, it wouldn't be cheating."