Chapter Sixteen

"Gah! I can't take it anymore!" Tessa shouted one afternoon as we were all gathered in the living room doing various homework assignments. The new semester had started and, since we were no longer newbies to the college scene, our teachers had wasted no time getting us back into the swing of things.

    "Hardstock?" I asked sympathetically. "I had him for English last semester and he was a tough teacher."

    "Yes." Tessa said. "I don't know how you and Jackie passed his class. This is my third thesis rewrite attempt. He discarded my other ideas. He's so boring and picky."

    "Guys, I have a question." Jackie said, coming into the living room. Amber had abandoned her homework in favor of painting her nails, Tessa was clacking away at her computer and I was curled up on the couch with a book. Blaine was getting off work soon and would be coming over to pick me up.

    "Does this question have anything to do with a certain boy you've been mooning over?" Tessa asked, gleefully turning away from her English assignment.

    Jackie blushed and a smile started to spread across her face.

    Ah good, I'm not the only one with a traitorous face.

    "Maybe." Jackie admitted and we all perked up. Jackie was a very private person and, even though she hung out with us and had fun, she kept a lot of stuff to herself.

    "Do tell." Amber said, carefully screwing the top back on her silver pearl polish.

    "Well, his name is Andrew and he's in choir with me. We've been spending time together since last semester." Jackie said hesitantly.

    "And?" Tessa prompted.

    "And he asked me if I wanted to go with him up to a cabin on the mountain."

    "As in a date and alone?" I asked. My spidey senses were ready to start tingling.

    "No I'm pretty sure other people are going because he said I could invite some friends if I wanted to." Jackie said.

    "So not a date then?" Tessa said, clearly disappointed.

    "Not this time no." Jackie said. "But we've been hanging out a lot and I think he likes me. I really want to go, but not alone. Do any of you want to come with me?"

    "When is it?" Amber asked.

    "This weekend." Jackie said. "Just Friday night and we'll come back sometime Saturday morning."

    "Dang I have to work." Tessa groaned.

    " Sorry girl, but I have a big group project this weekend." Amber said.

    Jackie turned to me, her eyes pleading. "Elise?"

    "I'm workless and projectless so let's go!" I said.

    "But are you Blaine-less?" Tessa grinned.

    "Yeah, you guys haven't spent a weekend apart since you got together, except for holidays." Amber pointed out.

    "And he crashed your Christmas." Tessa added.

    "Blaine is welcome to come too." Jackie said helpfully.

    "He has to work Friday night." I said. "He won't mind. I'm going for Jackie."

    "Yay! Thanks Elise." Jackie gave me a big hug. "I'll get the info from Andrew and let you know what to bring."

    "Knock knock. I come bearing food." Blaine announced as he strode through our front door.

    "That's the only reason we let you barge in here like that." Tessa said, going for the bag of tacos Blaine was holding.