Chapter Twenty-seven

"So, how did it go?" Blaine asked as I slid into the passenger seat of his car. He had waited for me to finish my interview instead of just dropping me off and coming back later. His window was down, the faint breeze playing with his curly hair. A book sat in his lap.

    "Really well." I said, unable to stop the smile that sprung from my lips. "I got the job!"

    "Elise! That's awesome!" Blaine exclaimed, pulling me into a hug. "This summer is going to be great. I am really glad that you're staying." He pulled out of the parking lot.

    "Me too." I smiled, watching the road zip on by. "I'm looking forward to just working and hanging out. No school to worry about."

    Blaine slid his hand into mine. "Me too."

    Now that I had "getting a summer job" checked off my list, I could finally focus on getting through finals. The plan was to start my new job next week, working a few days a week to start. I'd add more once school was done.

    Finals week was approaching quickly. I had a final every morning except for Friday. Graduation was that afternoon and my family was coming up since my brothers were graduating. It was also going to be the first time they were all going to meet Blaine. Well all except Claire. Her baby was due any day and she was unable to travel.

    "Are you nervous to introduce me to your family?" Blaine asked as he pulled into the driveway of my house.

    "A little." I confessed. "I've never introduced a guy to them and I know David and Trevor will make stupid comments."

    "It'll be fine." Blaine said. "I'll win them all over." He turned off the car and shifted around to look at me.

    "I hope so.  I am super bummed that you won't get to meet Claire though."

    "Are you going to fly out to meet their baby when he's born?" Blaine lifted up the middle console so I could snuggle in close to him.

    "Eventually. I know my mom will be going out there right after graduation, like she leaves Saturday morning. I might wait and see what Claire and Pete are wanting us to do. I am super excited to meet my nephew, I just don't want to intrude on their becoming new parents. My mom has some horror stories about how her mother acted when Claire was born. Nobody wants to be my grandma Janet."

    Blaine chuckled, I could feel the vibrations against my back. "Sounds like you could tell some interesting stories."

    "Me, not so much, but my parents? So many. They actually cut my grandma off when I was 5. She was just too toxic. I barely remember her. My mom just said that life's too short to let other people be in control of it."

    "Hmmm." Blaine started to kiss the right side of my neck, causing goosebumps down my arm and leg. "As fascinating as all this is, I'd rather do something else right now."

    I grinned. "You have a one track mind, you know that right?"

    "Can you blame me?" He turned my head so I was kissing him backwards.

    "I guess not." I said with a smile, shifting around to get comfortable. We were going to be here for a while.

    Later that evening I was hard at work on my last English assignment for the year. I had put it off until practically the last minute. Super dumb of me, but I always struggled with procrastination. Too bad I couldn't get a degree in it.

    Amber came walking into our room as I was trying to figure out what else I could BS about to meet the length requirement. She was on her phone. While things had mostly gone back to normal between us, I didn't trust her like I had before. Our friendship felt a little superficial now. It made me sad, but I just couldn't confide in her anymore.