Chapter Seventeen

Andrew flashed a charming smile at Jackie. "Is this spot taken?"

    "Not yet." Jackie said. She shifted, clearly uncomfortable with his presence.

    "I'm glad you could make it." Andrew said, scooching closer. He was either completely oblivious to how he was making Jackie feel or was ignoring it. "I'd really like to talk to you about something."

    Before Jackie could respond, the bubbly blonde was back and pounced on Andrew's other side. "Andrew! You promised to sleep next to me and keep me warm."

    Andrew turned away from Jackie and towards the blonde. "I'm not breaking that promise Maddie." He grinned and patted the spot next to him. Maddie threw her sleeping bag down and slithered up next to Andrew. He seemed to have forgotten all about Jackie once again.

    This was going to be a long night.

    "Hey Jackie, I need to use the creepy outhouse. Come with me so I don't die." I said. She flashed me a grateful smile.

    "I'll come too." Dale said suddenly. He stood up from the couch. "I can sing loudly and scare any bears away for you."

    "Does that work on spiders too?" I asked as we made our way outside. "I know that's where they're all hiding."

    "Just don't shine the flashlight around too much and be quick." Dale advised.

    "Okay but promise me you'll close your eyes if I run out screaming." I said, gingerly opening the wooden door.

    "Promise." Dale said.

    I shut the door, holding my flashlight in my teeth and trying not to look around. Outhouses are already gross but add darkness and freezing temperatures and they become my number one least favorite place. As I was trying to hurry up my business, I couldn't help but overhear Dale and Jackie's conversation.

    "I'm sorry." Dale said.

    "For what?" asked Jackie.

   "For my stupid friend." Dale said.

    "Oh."

    "He's an idiot and you're better off without him."

    A pause and then Jackie said, "Thanks."

    I quickly finished and opened the door. "It's all yours Jackie. I didn't die so hopefully you won't either."

    Jackie slipped past me and shut the door. "Thanks for being so nice to us." I said quietly to Dale.

    "It's no problem." He said. "I have no idea what's going on with Andrew, he just met those girls the other day. I really thought he liked Jackie and was going to ask her out."

    "Oh well, you can't fix stupid." I shrugged.

    Once Jackie had rejoined us, we headed back to the cabin. Everyone else had finished setting up their sleeping bags and were just hanging out, talking and drinking.

    Oh boy.

    "Well what should we do now?" Kimmie asked.

    "We could play spin the bottle." Maddie giggled, holding up her beer.

    Underage drinking and spin the bottle? Did I step into a 90's movie?

    "If we're playing kissing games, I'd rather play 7 minutes in heaven." One of the guys said with a grin and a wink in Kimmie's direction. She blushed.