17. I was not expecting this

It all felt so surreal. I walked in the funeral home as slowly as I could, I just couldn't believe that Jem was gone. I could feel the guilt overwhelm me and make me feel very nauseous. Her family was all gathered around while tears poured down their faces, they weren't even given a chance to say goodbye.

I tried to hold back the tears, but I just couldn't help but to bring myself up to her casket when a teardrop fell upon her soft face. I leaned in and stared at her once beautiful body now ripped apart and scratched. I rubbed her cheek; she didn't look real just look like a life sized barbie doll to me which a young child had not liked, not a human being.

The grief in the air hung like a thick, wool blanket, draped over all of us. There were no smiles from the remembrance of her, stories which we remembered about the good times we'd had. Only sorrow over the loss of this wonderful soul. It felt as if time itself was standing still; that this was just a horrible nightmare, and I was trying to escape it.

Desperately trying to get the image of her scars and bruises out of my mind I thought of the good times I spent with her.

The image of her coffin being lowered into the cold, hard earth replayed itself over and over again in my mind. I couldn't believe it. She was gone. Forever gone.

"This is all my fault." I quietly wept and sank to my knees, all the guests and various vampires who had come to pay their respect watching me sob away.

"Hey, it's not your fault, cupcake." Trevor wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me up. He didn't let me go and instead walked me back to the front row next to the King (Harry), Queen (Angela), Callum, Holly (his fiance) and then there was Alex.

He looked very devastated and as if someone had ripped his heart out and left a cold lifeless body standing there. He had gone pale and he had not uttered a single word since yesterday.

This was all my fault. How could I have been so stupid? I should have never let Alex come in and attack Luke. Jem would've lived instead of me. She was young and she hadn't even lived her life or loved yet.

I snatched all her happiness away from her. I snatched her family. Her home. Everything.

"Everyone can now leave. Thank you for your respect and care but that is all for now." Queen Angela spoke softly doing her best to keep her tears from spilling.

Instantly, everyone in the funeral ceremony bowed down and scattered getting on with their own lives. Callum finally let his guard down and dropped on to his knees and burst into tears hiding his face into the palm of his hands while Holly knelt down besides him and began to comfort him.

King Harry just glared at me, his face looked as if he hadn't even gotten a single second of sleep yesterday- not I would blame him. He looked ready to pounce on anyone who said anything and kill them with the snap of their neck.

"How's everyone coping?" Queen Angela asked ironically. She was handling it the worst because when she first came home she was in complete and utter denial. She would not even accept that it was Jem's body but one that was dug up from the near by graveyards.

"YOU!" King Harry roared looking at me and stopped me from crying by picking my up by my neck. I didn't even stop him and let him half strangle half pick me up. "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

"Sir, she's going red!" Trevor panicked.

"NO! I DON'T CARE! SHE TOOK AWAY MY ONLY DAUGHTER!" King Harry spat at me.

"I'm sorry, my king. I didn't mean it." I mumbled while tears slowly escaped my eyes again. "You can take my life instead."

"OH! I SHALL!" King Harry chuckled evilly. His grip got tighter and I was starting to feel very light headed and I began to cough violently for air and just when I thought I had taken in my last breath someone slammed into the King and grabbed me before I fell to the ground.