Ch 4: Challenge

Xander

It was said that we found no rest in the grave, but returned to our former haunts long after we were believed to be dead. Vampires. It was a word I haven't heard in a long time. Ironically, I was one.

Once you start living, and not just surviving was when you realize how much advantages being a creature of the night offered. I realized that not long after I turned. And along with all the changes, the hunger, came all the glory. Glory that no one could resist. No one could say no to..

The life I was once living was centuries behind me. Now what mattered was my title, what mattered was the blood, and at the end of the day, nothing else.

I said I was thankful for it all. It was no lie. I was. My immortality was a gift and I wouldn't have it any other way. But there was also the pain and heartbreak that I had to live with. For my whole eternity.

I was holding it under control. I always said that. I always tried believing it. But then the hunger would come. A primary sense. It was not the slaves, but only the aroma counted. I knew of control. I taught others control. But sometimes control wasn't what I needed. Not what I wanted..

I used to think that those emotions, needs, they only came when I was still warm blooded. I was foolish to believe that. I thought blood was going to be the only thing I would need. That I wouldn't care. That I would finally be free.

But she trapped me. She took what she could get and I gave it all. No, I didn't try resisting. What was the point in resisting? But I wish I did. I wish I could. And I regret it. I regret letting it all happen, letting her in, because once everything was taken away from me, I was back at the beginning. I was lost.

Then I found myself. But that was once again, someone else. Someone different. Careless and cold. I found love after death. I lost it. I lost her. And as if it was another one of those instincts, reflexes, I didn't let myself feel. Not again. Not ever again.

So, for the tenth time that year, I returned another one of them girls. Slaves. I gave her back. I didn't want money. I didn't want to sell. I just wanted to get rid of her. There no point anymore. I had sources to feed from, and so I didn't need another one of those pathetic humans. Useless.

It was getting boring teaching all them girls discipline. They feared me, so it was never exactly teaching, it was only them obeying. Listening and doing what they're told. That's why humans were boring. They fear. Too much. Too fast.

I was getting sick of all of it. I had to go all the way out of town to return the damn girl. It was becoming a routine. Except this time, I decided to change a few things. Perhaps, not get a new slave. Another useless human.

The doors closed behind me, and it was almost as if I had already forgotten her face. Well, I also didn't exactly pay attention. Other parts of her were what interested me. The hunger and the pleasure were the only things that satisfied me. For a while, at least.

But the more time passed, the more I remembered her. The more it hurt. Dalia.. She was a slave too.. But now I decided to stop. I decided to take a break. Maybe it was the fact of all the slave girls not being her what angered me. What made it all useless and boring. Annoying almost. Especially the one I had just returned. It had to stop. For a while at least.

I glanced at my watch. I still had to meet up with Nathaniel. He was the only one that could give me the right suggestion for this little break idea. Tell me all the best places for hunting. Away from Red Hawk.

The guards and the workers in the tower greeted and bowed, the other Lords talked, but it was almost strange how little attention I payed.

As I walked in the dark room, the slow jazz music was faded by the voices and laughs. Once again, hardly recognizable, there was Nathaniel. The master of disguise. Being one of the best human hunters, he had to leave no tracks behind himself. The constant change of identity seemed to be his way of doing that.