Ch 7: One chance

Lara

  My mind was a blur. I wasn't sure how to deal with everything going through my head so quickly.. It just seemed like it was too much. Was I supposed to focus on finding a way out of that hell, or hide my fear instead? I tried keeping up, I really did, but the man sitting in the car across from me, the vampire that bought me, he was too intense. Too intimidating. Too gorgeous.. Too frustratingly fucking gorgeous. It was unreal.

  I could feel it. I could feel his eyes on me, I could feel the darkness around him, no matter how ridiculous it sounded in my head. I knew it. I just simply knew that there was nothing normal or good about the situation I was in. I didn't like it. I didn't like the feeling, the tremors crawling underneath my skin, this unsettling dread clawing my chest, choking me.. It was that warning, that kind of feeling I only got when I could sense trouble. Danger. And I had been in a lot of those situations through my life.

  The fear traveled through my veins but never made it to my facial muscles or skin. My complexion remained pale and matt, my eyes were steady on the road, and my brain was simply concentrated on that escape. On that one sentence. I have to get away.

  What was happening.. It was something unbelievable for me. It was something nearly unbearable for me to deal with. It was something new, something damn weird, mind blowing and unfamiliar.. It was pure danger. All around me. I knew it was. So around that man, I was aware I had to stay focused.. Stay strong. I couldn't show weakness.. I had to mask whatever it was that was going behind my eyes.. I knew he could read my mind. He could read me clearly.. Effortlessly. And I never hated it more..

  I simply had to set my face to "casual indifference". And so I did. I was very much aware that my only way out was for me to stay aware of my skill level, not overthink and simply let my lack of fear cone from my own mastery instead of a raw nerve. I pushed it back and thought that perhaps I was in similar situations before. Never dealt with vampires of course, but I other situations that I figured out by myself. On my own.

  And I knew that one way or another, I was going to pursue that plan, and I was going to do things my way again. I never had anyone in my life to tell me what was wrong or right, but I also had no one to stand in my way. In the way of my own rules. And I certainly wasn't going to let a bunch over-egoistic vampires ruin that. Ruin my life.

  I glanced at Petrovic for a second, seeing how he was focusing on the papers in his hands, but as if he knew I looked at him, his gaze calmly met mine. They were a weird color of green, this wild emerald making me almost fear looking at them for too long.

  I looked away. Without a word, the car drove, somewhere, a straight gravel road, and a bunch of vampires in the car with me.

  I never felt more trapped in my life. I wanted Max. I wanted to see him again. I kept wondering if he even noticed. I wasn't even sure how long it had been, but he was one of the only people in my life. I wondered if he cared enough to look for me. Or was he still with that girl from the bar.

  I was on some unknown vampire island, captured, taken, bought.. My whole life was turned upside down. My plans and dreams, stolen from me just like that. In one night. Now, I had a fucking collar around my neck, and the chances of the attractive large man holding the leash becoming my murderer were very much big too. Soon.

  The car came to stop, and my guts nearly turned upside down. It felt as if that pressure radiating in my chest traveled down to my stomach, and the anxious feeling kept kicking in with every little bump on the road, with every stop we made.. The door now opened, and once again it felt like someone was holding a damn pillow over my face, blocking my air, drying my lungs and choking me, leading me to that doom with each second that the clock ticked..