Ch 11: New Shade

Warning: Long chapter :) Trying to make up for the late update... Enjoy!

Xander

My brain kept demanding answers.. Answers of what it was. What it was about Lara that made me go through all those thoughts in my head, over and over again, and change my mind a million times. My subconscious required the worse I knew it was.

It was like there was this guilt inside me. Not sitting just on my chest, but in my brain too. That was why I was there, in her room. That's why I hadn't left yet. Something was driving me madly towards this girl, something that made me care..

And sometimes, perhaps it was inextricable. There was no definition to it. And it was making me question what I did, over and over again. For the first time.

But it was something that could not be un-done. It was something that was going to teach her a lesson, for her own safety too. So I couldn't regret it, I just felt that worry in my chest that I had no clue about. I had no clue how to get rid of it except see her. Right then.

As I was nearly going insane with those thoughts, fighting with myself, the doors clicked opened, and my attention turned towards the bathroom. She walked out, a white towel wrapped around her, reaching above her knees. She kept it tight around herself with her hands, while her wet wavy hair looked even darker, causing that sharp contrast with her skin.

Her eyes landed on me, and even though I expected her to simply walk back in, she did the opposite. There was no spark of embarrassment, fear... Any emotion. She simply stopped for a few seconds when she spotted me, before looking away, and taking a few steps deeper in the room. She showed nothing on her face, even though I could still read that annoyance off of her.

I watched her as she ran a hand though her wet hair quickly, exhaling a sharp breath and looking back at me.

"Can I help you with something?" And there it was. That tone again. Those daring words.

My anger instantly jumped, and in less than a second I remembered why I had to scold her and punish her, even though it turned in more of a duty, not a pleasure. I looked away, running a hand down my face to try and keep myself together. I didn't want to hurt her again.

"You can't fucking say that, Lara. Stop daring me." I nearly growled at her, and when I glanced at her again, she didn't move an inch.

"Or you'll fix me again?"

"Your attitude is what needs to be fixed."

As those words came out of my mouth, she stopped. She looked on the side, and it seemed like she gave up for some reason. I was expecting her to continue, I was waiting her to, but she didn't.

I regretted walking in her room. Was there really a reason? Because if she continued, we were definitely going to end up where we started. There was that part of me that wanted to give her a chance, to see if she was worth it.. Worth teaching. But she was giving me reason to doubt it each time I saw her.

I knew it was hard to teach this girl a lesson. It was hard because I couldn't do it the way I used to. I hurt her, and it didn't give me that satisfaction of teaching her.

Because I knew I hadn't. And I knew I was going to repeat that more times that I could possibly count, just because I've met humans like her. She was no simple. She was difficult.

But that was the thing. She was challenging me. Because it wasn't just her beauty that was pulling me closer to her, it was something else.. Something that I couldn't understand yet. Something that was so unfamiliar. Close, but hard to figure out.