Ch 25: Yours

18+ Content

Lara

  The dinner was over very quickly after Nathaniel's speech and Xander's unfinished game. It was unbelievable how much I craved that relief and I got nothing. I could still feel my legs slightly weak as I stood on the side with a glass in my hand.. I downed my drink which I'm pretty sure was my fifth one till then, and my eyes seemed to unconsciously search the room for something that would distract the thoughts wandering through my head. Xander was here and there, constantly greeting one guest then another, so I decided to stay in place and just wait till he finished.

  I wasn't exactly sure how long the ball was going to last. It had been around 2 hours since it began, and everyone seemed like they had all the adrenaline they needed for more. Perhaps it was the tiny fact that they were vampires, and I on the other hand was just another one of the humans that they were used to dragging around whenever they needed something to be done for them. I despised that choice of life style. I didn't understand how it worked, and what the human world was doing about it.. I mean, apparently it had been going on for centuries.. Was it possible that nothing was done about all the missing girls throughout the years?

  The sparkly champagne was sweet in a way, but it still had that drier, a bit bitter taste to it.. I couldn't complain though, it was the best thing I had all night. The many black tuxes and suits seemed to blend and I wasn't paying much attention to the sight before me. I just stood on the side and observed. It wasn't till this taller figure approached me when I realized that it was actually Nathaniel.

  I faked him a smile, and took a sip from my drink, trying to ignore him as much as possible. He stopped beside me, observing the same way I did. "Enjoying yourself?"

  I didn't bother looking at him. "Of course."

"It's your first celebration here in Red Hawk. How do you like it?" He continued, and I could hear the arrogance in his voice. It was very similar to that tone Xander used whenever he teased me or just tried to get something out of me. Nathaniel however, didn't really even bother masking it.

  I slightly turned towards him, noticing how he searched my face for a second. "What do you need?" A grin stretched his lips before he looked back towards the crowdy room.

  "What makes you think I need something?" There was this rasp in his voice, that same arrogance but at the same time, it was that confidence every vampire seemed to have around  a human. However, my relationship with Nathaniel was always really casual, perhaps because he accepted my temper and my attitude and didn't make me bow in front of him like every other vampire that Xander was friends with did..

  For a second there, the image of that night flashed in front of me.. That night when Nathaniel took me.. At the same time it was my last time on the beach. Or in the human world, in general. It wasn't the picture of him with that demon face before he bit me.. It was that memory of him handing me the phone and using cheesy human pick up lines.

  I blinked a few times and looked away.. However, I knew that my concentration on his face only made him smirk. "Well, I don't know," I started off, my eyes once again searching the room for Xander. "Usually when you approach me, it's either an insult about my attitude, or some part of Xander's past." When I glanced back at him, there was this expression on his face, this look in his eyes.. I don't know, it was hard to explain. I swear I saw a flash of frustration behind those ocean blues, but at the same time, I was sure it wasn't because of my words.