Epilogue

7 years later

Xander

  I watched how the fire disappeared from the candles, replaced by the slight smoke that rose in the air along with the applause. A smile lightened my wife's face, rosiness staining that porcelain skin with the awareness that it was her that was the star of the day.. Of the whole week. Of my entire life.

  It was her birthday; her 30th, even though her immortality gave her the gift of youth her whole life. She had chosen it many years ago, that night of our wedding. The loud 'Happy birthday' echoed enough to have her place her hands on her cheeks, and that simple gesture seemed to had made her too enticing for me to resist.

  A lean closer was enough to take her lips, and let mine show how happy her birthday actually was rather than say it. To pull away and see those enchanting eyes smiling, sparkling of joy, filled my heart in a way that gave me another breath of life for the next forever. With her. My Lara.

  It was little Isidore that found her way to her mother's lap in seconds. "Happy birthday, mommy!" Her voice filled the air in a familiar high pitch that could have anyone grinning. Still, it seemed that I was once again too dumbstruck to really register anything other than my two girls.

  It was moments like that, when Issy found her way beside her mother that seemed to have me lose every thought for a second. Despite Lara's french chignon holding all those heavy locks together, it wasn't hard to notice that the color of those long braids on Issy's hair matched Lara's identically. It was truly frightening how much they looked alike.

  At five, she was already a mini Lara, and I would lie if I said I had gotten used to it. The more she grew up, the more she looked like her mother. It was only her eyes that took a color of emerald rather than Lara's azures, but they were just as striking, just as compelling.

  She had her little arms around Lara's neck, and was receiving a squishing kiss on her cheek when I leaned closer. "What did you wish for?" It was a whisper, but both my girls glanced at me all the same.

  "Oh, I was supposed to make a wish?" That familiar dimple on Lara's cheek appeared when she smiled and teased, knowing that Issy would take her time explaining.

  She did. "Of course! I wished for those unicorn cupcakes last year, remember? I found some in the kitchen the next morning!" I felt a gurgle of laugh leave my throat as I took her from Lara, knowing that it was us that had made the magic cupcakes appear by the next morning.

  "If I tell my wish, it won't come true," Lara leaned closer with a wink, and couldn't help the impulse to pull her closer and kiss those crimson lips. This Countess of mine was becoming more ravishing from a day to a day.

  She then stood up, just to have little Isaac catapult himself towards her. "Happy birthday, mommy!"

  They had been telling her that the whole day, but it seemed more special to say it even louder after the candles were blown. Being Isidore's twin, he was just the same, same light yellow on his shirt that matched his sister's dress, same eyes that I liked to think resembled mine. Lara of course, being herself, pulled him up, and I almost jumped on my feet.

  "Oh, my little wolf, you're getting big, aren't you?" She took her chance, being the birthday girl, so that no one could object to her lifting him. It was a habit, even after five years to hold them in her arms.. Even now that she was pregnant.

  I had stood up with Issy in my arms. "Lara, put him down. You're not supposed to be lifting anything—"

  "She's fine," Of course, who else would know best if not Lily. "Only in her first month," That was true, but still, Isaac was getting big. Then the two of them hugged and Isaac took the chance too. "Happy birthday, my dear,"