20. One Step at a Time

Bea… was never the girly type. She grew up having pranks as their family business, which is NOT girly at all… plus a very caring(a.k.a. we-never-allowed-any-mosquito-touch-your-skin-so-as-any-boy-court-you) parents, plus TWO overprotective brothers; now who would expect that this young girl will be girly and such, right?! And there she goes, meeting high school, one of the best part of the growing up years as they say. She blossomed… really. But she always lived under the shadow of her brother’s bestfriend, Lexi.

     Lexi sure is something -- beauty and brains. She had curves, a long, black, glossy hair—naturally and a beautiful white skin. Josh and Lexi were partners. They were famous for their intelligence… well Josh, for genuinely plotting a prank  and Lexi for academic and logic-wise problems. She giggles and blushes everytim she receives love letters, chocolates, and presents. She appreciates it of course, flattered almost, and just like a normal high school girl, will ALWAYS be talking about her crush, insecurities and such.

     Sometimes boys just befriend Bea for the sole reason of knoingw something about Lexi, how rude, right? Every guy she crushes on, is absolutely into Lexi… Bea envied her for everything!

    Finally! Bea had the FIRST boy(aside from her family members of course) named Jon—he who saw her as BEA MAGALONA, not as Josh’s little sister, Magalona’s youngest heir, and most especially… not as Lexi’s bestfriend—or thas was what she believed in. Of course everyone WAS against it…

    Parents: SECOND YEAR HIGHSCHOOL KA PALANG!!!

    Elmo:     LOSER kaya yun! Wala man lang siyang fashion sense sa katawan! Sayang ang itsura niya!

    Josh:     Sigurado ka bang gusto ka niya?! Baka naman gusto ka lang niyang GAMITIN, kasi napagtripan ko na yan dati… baka gusto lang gumanti…

    Friends: sigurado ka bang SAYO siya interesado? Hindi kay Ate Lexi?

    So where else would she go? To LEXI of course, that ONE person who will believe and support her. Lexi was never the stereotype. So most of time… when Jon and Bea hangs out, Lexi will be there to be a decoration—to hide that not-so secret relationship.

     It was after their 6th monthsary… and Bea knew… there was something different… something awkward when the three of theme were together. Soon she noticed Lexi will ALWAYS make an excuse not to be with THEM. Girls always have this INTUITION… intuition that something is not in its right place…

     Jon:            Lex… please!

     Lex: ano ba?!

     Jon:            bakit mo ba ko iniiwasan?

     Lex: kasi naiilang ako sayo!

     Jon:            Lex—

     Lex: bitawan mo nga ko! Just in case nagka-amnesia ka or something, GIRLFRIEND MO LANG NAMAN ANG BESTFRIEND KO!

     Jon:            pero natutunan na kitang mahalin—

     Bea: WHAT?!

     Lex: Bea…

     Bea:            ANO TO?! LEX?!