35. The Break Up

Derrick blinked. He was staring at a white ceiling, one that he was sure he won't ever see again.

Barbie:  mommy… mommy!

Narinig ni Derrick na paulit-ulit na sumisigaw si Barbie

MOM:   Bakit baby?

Barbie:  Si Derrick… si Derrick… gising na!

DAD:    diba sabi ko naman sayo tawagin mo siyang kuya?

Barbie:  DAD! You’re missing the point!

So dali-daling nagtatakbo yung parents nila sa side ni Barbie who is seated sa right side ng bed ni Derrick.

MOM:   DERRICK!

     Derrick recognized his mother's pained cry and then she was suddenly on him, kissing every part of his face with hot tears leaking form her black eyes as she sobbed hysterically. His father was there too, his face blotchy and wet from crying for hours. Derrick attempted to speak but his throat was close, he couldn't comprehend what was going on. As far as he knew he should be dead.

Ang huling naaalala niya. Malapit na malapit na siya sa finish line. Lumingon siya sa left side para makita kung malapit na si Alden… kasabay niya lang ito… hanggang sa maunahan niya si Alden…

I’ll win this… I’ll win this! The prize will be mine… She will be mine…

Paulit ulit niyang sinabi sa sarili  niya. Hanggang sa malaman na lang niya… nawala na siya sa track…

A rather peculiar thought to have a moment before his death really.And then his mind filled with images of her.

The first time he spoke to her, during the EK getaway where she acted so superior and he was so utterly charmed by her cheekiness.

The jealously that sprang in his heart when she visited Kris in the champion's tent and his joy when he kissed her for the first time.

He remembered cheering for her and her friends as Kris managed to finish his first task

His realization that he loved her.

The moment they shared during the Christmas Ball.

Their crazy first date.

The moment he protected her in his arms when she was afraid of the thunder

The time when he saw her alone in the Ching’s balcony.

Their second kiss.

All the times she smiled, waved, talked or just looked at him, either in joy, anger or confusion. All the moments he had with her, not nearly as many as he wanted but all precious nevertheless.

People say that when you are about to die you see your life passing before your eyes. That was not true.

He saw her and he realized he wasn't truly ready to die. He had so much he wanted to do.He wanted her to be his and his alone. But who is ready after all? Sabi nga nila…. Pag time mo na, time mo na talaga…

But now here he was, lying on a bed in an unknown hospital…, his parents crying over him, his sister laughing with tears—is she really happy to see me? Or she’s just enjoying this dramatic time of our lives? He groaned painfully when his mom him closer to her.

Derrick: mom… can’t breathe…

MOM:   sorry, anak…

she exclaimed as she hastily released him and smoothed his hair out of his face. He stared quizzically at her and his father, expecting an explanation. The two parents sighed and stood back.