Hit and Run

I tossed and turned. Maybe it was just a nightmare within another.

You know that's not true.

Everyone was still out looking. I didn't go. I didn't have the heart to see what I would find after that night.
I can tell Katelynn no longer trusts me. She thinks that it's my fault Kawaii-Chan is gone.

Perhaps it is.

I don't know what to think.

As I lay in bed, I hear a sound that sounds like someone drawing on the front door. I listened for a few more seconds, figuring whatever it was it wasn't going away. Getting up out of bed with a groan, I smoothed my hair back before letting it fall forward. About 5 feet from the door, the noise stopped.

What the hell?

Opening the door, bat in hand, I saw her laying on the drive way. Kawaii-Chan.

"Kawaii-Chan!" She was doing an army crawl back to the road. She turned around, happy tears down her face.
"Zane-kun!?" She said those words as if she never thought she would say them again. I sat down next to her sprawled form on both knees.
"Kawaii-Chan?" I asked, looking at what she was wearing. She was still wearing the same maid outfit from work.
"C-come on, let's go inside." I said. I could tell she was in a lot of pain.
"K-kawaii-chan can't walk."
I tried to smile. Tried assuring her that everything would be alright only with the answer on my face. Because heaven knows if I opened my mouth, only fury would come out to who ever did this to her.
I nodded, picking her up in a bridal sweep. There was no blood, but her calves were massively swollen. I looked down at her in concern. She tried not to make eye contact, looking straight ahead.
"Kawaii-Chan's embarrassed." Cradling her, I told her it was okay. Everything was going to be okay.

Kawaii-Chan laid on the couch, while I got out my phone, calling the others.

"I found her."
The sighs of relief, the joy, and happy tears I could make out from the phone. I smiled. Walking over to Kawaii-Chan who was looking at me in curiosity, I put the phone on speaker.
"Hello?" Kawaii-Chan asked.
"Oh Kawaii-Chan! You don't know how happy I am to hear you voice!" Obviously, Aphmau was on the other end.
"Aphmau! Don't hog the phone! I want to talk to KC too!" We could hear Katelynn yelling at Aphmau. I could see Kawaii-Chan crying.
"Where is Katelynn-sama and Aphmau-Senpai?" Kawaii-Chan asked, "You weren't in your houses."
My heart sunk. Evidentally, Kawaii-Chan had dragged herself door to door. No one answered. I could imagine her thinking that they no longer cared about her. That no one noticed she was gone. That she was forgotten.
"Looking for you of course! Where have you been? We tried calling you!"
"Kawaii-Chan got hit by a car." The Meifwa said, looking at me for my reaction since this was the first time I had heard was had happened too. "My purse got ran over and my phone was in there."
"Oh god Kawaii-Chan! Are you alright!"
"Kawaii-Chan will be okay."
"Well who hit you! I swear, I'll clobber 'em."
"Kawaii-Chan doesn't know."
There, my nightmare became real. Kawaii-Chan didn't know who hurt her.
"A hit and run, are you kidding me!?"
"Kawaii-Chan, do you remember what the car looked like?"
"Zane, have you called the police yet!"
"We're on our wa-"
The phone call was cut off. One of them accidentally hit the hangup button during all the commotion. I was grateful. Kawaii-Chan was shaking.
"Zane-kun? Kawaii-Chan didn't mean to cause all of this trouble. Kawaii-Chan didn't even see the car. Kawaii-Chan only heard it."
"It's not your fault Kawaii-Chan." I reassured then picking her up off the couch.
"Z-zane-kun?"
"I'm taking you to the hospital."
I texted the rest of the gang to meet us there.

As we drove, Kawaii-Chan randomly said, "It happened right there." She pointed out the window
"That's where you got hit?" I asked.
She nodded. I got out of the car. Shining light from my phone, I could see tire marks going onto the grass by the sidewalk. Bits of a tattered purse scattered all over the sidewalk.
"You were on the sidewalk." I stated. Someone was drunk.
Or someone was out to kill Kawaii-Chan.