The Truth

I shook my head, my face in my hands. Everything was now breaking down. I couldn't fess up to Kawaii-Chan.
"What am I supposed to do?" I asked. I felt like such a child and my self esteem was plummeting at such a fast pace. Katelyn was being asked advice by me. How much lower could I get?
"Zane, I'm going to be really serious right now."
I looked up at Katelyn. I felt my heart pounding. My decision was not only going to alter me, but someone else. Someone I actually cared about.
"You need to do what you think is best."
I pushed past Katelyn, opening the front door and locking the behind me.
"Zane," the door knob jiggled and Katelyn began to pound on the door. "Zane! You better unlock this door right now!" Her yells began to fade out as I ran up the stairs to Kawaii-Chan room.
The door flew open but Kawaii-Chan was no where to be seen. Until I turned to exit and saw her hiding behind the door.
"Kawaii-Chan," I sighed, "What are you doing hiding behind the door?"
"Kawaii-Chan heard Katelyn yelling, and then the door slammed so.... Kawaii-Chan was afraid someone broke into the house... umm..."
I sighed nodded. I probably would've done the same thing too.
"Kawaii-Chan, you should be resting your calves. Come on." I helped her to her bed and she let out a relieved sigh as she sat down. This was now my chance to talk, but I wasn't good with words.
"Umm.... Zane?"
"Yes?"
"Why did Zane-kun lock Katelyn outside?" Kawaii-Chan's eyes were focused on her bedroom window. Katelyn could be seen running to and from the front door as she tried to break it.
"I uhh.... needed to tell you something. It's kind of important."
"Why did Zane-kun have to lock Katelyn outside for that?"
"Because Katelyn would proably kill me for what I'm about to say."
"Should Kawaii-Chan be scared right now?"
I laughed. "You might be but just know I have- No ill intentions toward you. Okay?"
She nodded biting her lip anxiously. " "Kawaii-Chan, I... I like you."
"That's sweet Zane-kun." She smiled,
"You don't understand Kawaii-Chan. I... like-like you."
"Kawaii-Chan like-likes you too."
"Heh. You do?"
"Mmm-hmm," Kawaii-Chan nodded her head vigorously, wrapping her arms around me and giving me a hug. It startled me at first and I felt really bad for what I was about to say next.
"Heh. But there's a problem Kawaii-Chan."
"What?"
"I can't... like you."

"What?" Kawaii-Chan's face fell and her eyes went wide. Silence came over the room. Kawaii-Chan started shaking and I tried to reach for her hand. She turned her head snatching her hand away. "It's because Kawaii-Chan's a meifwa, isn't it?"

I vigorously shook my head. "No, no. It's nothing like that!"

"Then what is it?! You know, mom was right. Sure she kept me trapped from the world, but Kawaii-Chan was safe from people like you. Kawaii-Chan's legs wouldn't be broken if it weren't for people like you."

"No it's not- Kawaii-Chan?" A heavy realization hit me. Kawaii-Chan's legs wouldn't be broken if it weren't for people who didn't like meifwas. Kawaii-Chan knew who had hurt her.
She remained silent, hugging herself, as if she were about to throw up.

"You know who hurt you? Don't you?" The words that came out of my throat hurt me. This girl who I thought was incapable of anything bad had lied.

More silence.

"Kawaii-Chan. I'm sorry." I was about to give her a hug but she slapped my arms away.

"Zane is always sorry."

A sharp breath burned my throat. I didn't know what I could say. She explained it. I was always going to be a bad person. The fact that I was changing had to have been false. Kawaii-Chan, the only person who ever would think that I could change, showed me that I couldn't.

"Kawaii-Chan who hurt you?" I wasn't going to leave without an answer.

She shook her head, got up and started staggering toward the door. I rushed infront of her, shutting it. She couldn't even look at me.

"Who hurt you?!"

She shook her head and went toward the window.

"Kawaii-Chan tell me!"

She still didn't answer.

"Kawaii-Chan."

She laid hunched over on the floor. "He said that he would kill Kawaii-Chan if she ever told."

"He's not going to hurt you." I reassured, crouching down to her hunched form. "What happened?"
Kawaii-Chan sobbed clutching onto me for dear life. "Kawaii-Chan's sorry she didn't say anything. Kawaii-Chan's sorry."
"It's okay." I said, holding the Meifwa as if she were a small child. "What matters is that you tell me now."
"Kawaii-Chan was locking up and he attacked me."
"Who?"
"Kawaii-Chan doesn't know."
"Kawaii-Chan who was it?!" My hands gripped her shoulders as I held her infront of me. I could feel the joints rubbing together.
"Kawaii-Chan really doesn't know." Her face was red and her bottom library was quivering.
I sighed. She was telling the truth. "But why would someone do this to you?"
"Because..." What Kawaii-Chan had said next was unimaginable. "Kawaii-Chan is a meifwa."
"Oh Kawaii-Chan." I never realised that Meifwas were still somewhat not accepted into society. "Now tell me what happened?" I cupped her face and she started crying more. "Was it that bad?"
Kawaii-Chan nodded her head and I felt my heart breaking until it shattered into a million pieces.
"When Kawaii-Chan was locking up, a man was behind her. Kawaii-Chan thought perhaps he needed something, but he just took a bat and-" She cried harder holding on for dear life. Her bedroom door swung open.
"Zane! What did you do!?" Katelyn was their furious. She had managed to break the door down.
I looked up at Katelyn who was holding her arm and then back at Kawaii-Chan who was still crying.
"Should I tell her, or do you want to?" I asked the meifwa.
"You," Kawaii-Chan nodded.
"It appears that Kawaii-Chan hadn't told us the whole story about... what happened."
Katelyn's eyes went wide then to immediately soften as she looked at the pink ed haired girl. She crouched down next to me and took Kawaii-Chan's hand in her own.
"Kawaii-Chan?" She asked, "Is this true?"
The pink haired girl nodded and Katelyn did the same. I could see tears sprouting into the blue haired girl's eyes. This was the first time I had ever seen Katelyn cry. I took both their forms in my arms. Katelyn was resistant at first, but she found that would get her closer to Kawaii-Chan, the broken meifwa.