Fire

Irene, please...

Kawaii-Chan seemed unaware of the letter at first, until she felt her hand brush against the oddly folded paper. She was just about to question it until I pushed down forcefully on the opposite side of the couch.

"Z-zane!" She was suprised, obviously, and I found myself stammering.

"Uh-uh-" I searched the couch with my knee, trying to find the letter and hide it as soon as possible.

"What is th-" I forcefully locked my lips on hers, holding her by both her shoulders.

Kawaii-Chan yelped, beating against me.

Where is it?!

My free hand frantically searched behind me, finally gripping the crinkled paper. Tucking it behind a cusion; I finally unlocked lips with her.

"What- what was that about?" Kawaii-Chan squeaked. She squirmed out from under me, sat up and got off the couch.

"Heh, can't I-"

"Oh no!" Kawaii-Chan shook her head. She slips past me as she runs on the wood floor toward the kitchen. "Not again!"

At first, I thought she'd figured out what I had been hiding, but when I followed her into the kitchen, the stove was on fire.

SHIT!

My feet are already running before my brain can click in. I'm in the garage, eyes darting back and forth, trying to locate the fire extinguisher. I can hear Kawaii-Chan screaming frantically.

"Get out of there Kawaii-Chan!" I hear her steps nearing me as I sprint toward the kitchen. I squeeze. Nothing happens.

"Pull the-"

I pull and squeeze and the white spray comes out. In about 10 seconds, it's over. Kawaii-Chan has tears in her eyes. I'm just relieved that it's over.

Kawaii-Chan slowly walks toward the stove. At first, I want to tell her to stop. But she grabs an oven mit. 

She opens it.

In the center of the oven is a mass pile of charcoal. Kawaii-Chan shakes her head, pulling out the pan and setting it on the sink. Smoke is still seeping, as well as Kawaii-Chan's tears. I watch her for a moment as she stares intently at the mass of black, her eyes wide. "It-" She hiccups, looking over at me. "It didn't work."

I sigh, nodding. "What matters is that we're okay."

"We're not okay."

My eyes widen as I stare down at her.

"It didn't work."

"What are you talking about?" Confusion and frustration begin to overwhelm me. I don't understand what she is trying to tell me.

"This Zane!" She motions her hand between both of us.

I hold my breath for a moment. "It's just a cake."

"It's not just a cake!"

I step back, trying to figure out why she's so angry.

"This is us!" She points at the mess and I can feel a tear coming to my eye.

"Is this another Meifwa thing- because- I swear-"

She's crying harder, grabbing the pan and throwing it in the garbage. "Zane-kun..." she whispers. She walks up to me, and for a moment, I think she has changed her mind. "I'm sorry..." She turns around going up to her room.

I stand alone for a moment. Unable to believe what Kawaii-Chan had just said. What had just happened between us. Was any of that real? I was frustrated and confuzed. And for the first time in my life, was I scared? I shake these thoughts out, not willing to let go. I walk up to her room.