Sleepless Thoughts

A fire? A madman with a bat? What else could this Meifwa take?

Kawaii-Chan's back slowly falls and rises. My hands trace through her soft pink hair. I take this moment to look at this girl who had changed my life. Am I not that shallow?

When I was younger, I had always expected to fall for some stunning girl... but- I fell for Kawaii-Chan because somehow she was able to stick with me. Tolerate me basically. I loved her for her. Nonetheless....

She seems so at peace. I envy her for that. She's so carefree. But that's what brought her the most harm.

She felt that the Maid-Cafe was a sanctuary. Well, I don't think I have to explain that one.

She decided to fall for me. I've insulted- and even yelled at her.

"Why me?" I mutter. Would she have been better off with Dante or mister pizza delivery guy. Well the answers fairly obvious. If she had ended up with one of them, we probably would’ve remained acquaintances. I barely new Kawaii-Chan until that night we watched MLP.

I doubt Kawaii-Chan's still naive.

After being attacked...

After ending up with me...

I get up from bed, trying to distribute my body evenly as not to make it squeak. I walk barefoot across the floor into the bathroom.

I stare at myself for a moment. I look so pale. I am naturally pale but- I look white. Turning the facet on, cool water splashes onto my face.

"Long time no see."

"What the-" I look back at the mirror. It's me, but it's not. It's Zane. The Zane I've been trying so desperately to keep hidden.

"You know..." Zane stares directly into my soul. He's much more in control, and I can't help but be curious as to what my mind is doing to me. "There's a girl in your room. She still has a bit of nativity left. Why not give her a bit of a push?" He's grinning.

I stare, trying to take these thoughts out of my head. "No- That's- That's horrible-"

"You've still got a sense of humor." His frame seems to be taking over the entire mirror. "Last I checked, that's all you were."

I don't want to listen. I want this voice to leave and I want to forget this short conversation ever existed. But my body doesn't move. My mind takes in what he's saying and it's trying to not process it as truth.

"Those hickeys on Kawaii-Chan's neck speak for themselves. All you want her for is-"

"Don't-" My hands shake gripping the sink. "Don't you dare."

"You don't love her. Whatever you were thinking- that cheesy "Oh! It's what's inside that counts-"

"Stop."

"She's tolerating you? What a joke-"

"Shut-up!"

"We both know you're tolerating her."

My mind has barely processed what I'm doing as I can feel my fist flying into the mirror. My fist is still clenched, bits of glass on the floor.

"Z-Zane?" Kawaii-Chan stands at door, clenching her stomach. Her legs are shaking.

"You should get back to bed." The seering pain grows as I flex my hand.

"You're hurt-"

"You're going to step on glass. Go back to bed."

She stares at me for a second, nodding sadly.

I hear her steps fade before Garroth is the next to pay me a visit.

"Baby brother! Are you okay?!"

"I'm fine- just- had a bit of an accident."

"Some accident!" He inspects the floor and all the scattered glass and I have to admit I'm also scared of where to step due to being barefoot. "I'll get a broom." His eyes catch a glimpse of my hand. "There a first aid kit in the medicine cabinet."

I open the shattered door, grabbing the kit. Insides a pair of tweezers.

Welp, this is going to be fun...

He returns in seconds sweeping easily. I nod thanking him about to go to bed. "Wait- Zane!"

I turn around. "What?"

"You never told me what happened."

I couldn't. "I told you. It was an accident." Garroth was a sucker for figuring out if someone was lying.

"Tell me the truth." Nevermind.

I can't but feel annoyed, but after he dealt with te mess, I owed him at least that much. But before any words can escape my mouth, I hear a familiar squeak from my room. It's the floorboard right next to the other side of my bedroom door. I know Kawaii-Chan's listening. "Can we talk outside?"

A small thud is heard on the other side of the door.

Garroth nods and we sit on the front steps. "Have you ever... liked someone?" I say.

"Are you seriously asking that question."

"Oh- Aphmau- sorry... How are you dealing with that by the way?"

"Zane. We didn't come out here to talk about the certain- circumstances."

"...I was mad."

"Mad? Did you get a fight with Kawaii-Chan?"

"No! Yes? Maybe. I-" I can feel his voice in my head.

"You're confusing..." Garroth sighs. "Well, it's nice to hear that your relationship with Kawaii-Chan *might* be going well. You know, I'll never get over it."

"What?"

"That you found someone before me. You. A rude little stick in the mud."

"I get it!" I laugh.

"She's changed you. You didn't get mad when I said that."

"Yea..." I no longer came up with snarky comebacks. Ever since that "naive" comment. Well, like I said, it speaks for itself.

"That's a good thing."

I can feel him fading, but at the sametime, my self-esteem plummets.

"Right?" Garroth's eyes are wide and sparkling. For some reason, I can't help but not dissapoint him.

"Yea."

...

As I walk back down the hallway, I swear I can hear Kawaii-Chan running from the bedroom window to her inflatable mattress. I open the door. And she's laying there.

I sigh, jumping into my bed, pulling the covers my head.

"I love her. I love her. I love her."

Can you force yourself to think-

I'm such an idiot.