CHAPTER II

Mark snickered, lowering the folder down to the table and slinking back on his seat. "You were right about one thing. She is a woman of impeccable character and beauty."

"And wealth," Harrison added, taking a sip from his wine glass and smiling.

It was over a month since his father passes, and he felt cornered at both fronts of his life; private and business. He would never describe himself as 'spoiled' or 'conceited' but, he couldn't classify himself as a businessman either, seeing as he had never really run one. His college degrees and studies were child's play when matched to his lifestyle of travels and carefreeness. All that did a complete three-sixty when his mom called to inform him his father had passed.

Working was new to him, and he was adjusting as quickly as he could. Not only to the office schedules but also with how he had to juggle the time he spent. With the amount of work he had to do, he spent less time at home and even less where his girlfriend, Josephine, was concerned. It had made their relationship a little tense, but he planned to correct that later during the week. For now, his main problem was Cassandra Hernández.

"I sent the offer she made for the company back to her a few days ago but I haven't gotten a reply."

"Reply?" Mark barked out in laughter, rubbing his palms over his khaki trousers as he looked over the balcony. "You basically told the woman to take a hike. Not in those words, I know, but the actions kind of speak for themselves. What kind of reply are you expecting?"

Harrison smiled at that, "Right. I think I am judging her based on her very public reputation. You hear people speak of her like she is the myth around this town. They say she is ruthless in business and even more so when crossed. I figured she would raise hell when she got my refusal. I am dealing with a lot right now; I don't know if I want to add her to my issues?"

"Josephine?"

"Amongst other things." Harrison sighed, exhausted. He scrubbed his face with his palms then ran his fingers through his hair. "After my dad's burial, I have just been working, working, working. You dragging me out here to eat is probably the only break I have today. I have my new assistant coming in to work soon, and I will have to leave in the next twenty minutes to meet her. Back-to-back meetings, plans and designs to go through."

Mark tsked, using his knuckles to push the wine bottle towards Harrison. "You might need more of that."

"What I need more of is coffee. I need to be energetic, not drunk."

The restaurant that was barely filled when they entered was crowded with people now. They sat in one of the rows by the balcony, overlooking the busy city. The restaurant, living up to its name, had bright red umbrellas positioned at the centre of each polish mahogany table. It protected them from the sun as they ate their breakfast.

Harrison took another savoury bite of his Denver omelette, chewing as he looked around. "Don't think I ever thanked you for bringing me here. The food is amazing."

"So, is their wine." They clinked glasses, and Harrison agreed. "You have been away for a long time, and some things have grown out of your memory, but give it time. You will fall in tune, and soon, maybe you'd be the one showing me places."

"Is there a place you don't know already?"

"Josephine."

Harrison choked on his wine, lifting his hand to his mouth to catch himself before he spoiled his shirt. He managed to swallow the drink, coughing out the rest of his surprise. "What?"

"Your girlfriend is walking this way."

Harrison turned just as she reached their table and stood, hugging Josephine firmly. She kissed him in greeting before walking around the table to hug Mark as well. He kissed her cheek and pulled a chair out for her. Josephine thanked him half-heartedly, her eyes glued on Harrison as she took the seat, reaching forward to grasp his hand.