CHAPTER XLIII

Cassandra nodded to Julia as she walked back into her office, shutting the door behind her and picking up a folder filled with designs for their project. She added a few more, including Susan's designs she created while studying at Jack's side. Jack had brought back raving reviews about her each time Cassandra asked for an update about the girl; Cassandra was pleased to hear about her progress. Susan had high hopes of finishing college and working full time at the company. Cassandra was equally as excited, and she could only encourage the girl to give university her best.

She crossed her legs at the ankles, leaning forward to drop the folders on the small table in front of the couch. As excited as she was, it had been a very long day for her at the office. With the projects for Mr Cooper mounting up and her budding relationship with Harrison, while her ex was officially in town, she found herself becoming stretched too thin. Not only of time but equally of patience. H.W, after he failed to contact her, sent a large vase of flowers with a get-well card to her house while she was recovering. He insisted on explaining, but she wasn't interested in any story he had taken three years to cough up for her to swallow.

Just like Josephine, he seemed to appear everywhere he was not wanted, and Cassandra had grown tired of it. She had even less patience after her accident for all his nonsense. It had, however, pushed her to hire a private detective to find out what Harrison had been up to the three years he was gone. She wanted to have something concrete on her hands when she finally allowed him to speak, so she could confront him when he tried to lie to her face.

Julia walked in, and she looked up at her, waving from the couch so she could bring all the files she stacked in her arms over.

"Have you taken your medication?"

"Yes, and don't start."

"Bad mood again?"

"No, just don't feel like being pampered today."

"You feel that way every day." Julia checked her watch then sat on the couch. "Harrison has been to your house?"

"I can't stand the sight of him any more than I can the sight of Josephine. Something doesn't feel right about his 'return'." She snorted, crossing her legs and planting her elbow on the backrest of the couch. "I refuse to believe my luck is so rotten that when I decide to take the next step with Harrison, he appears in my life again."

"Do you...feel anything."

"Anger." Cassandra seethed, restlessly bobbing her leg and looking towards the window. "He sent me some flowers after I fell down the stairs. You don't know how much I wish I had given into the desire to take the entire vase and drop it at his feet in front of his stupid hotel room."

"And Harrison." Julia tilted her head back and laughed, pinching the bridge of her nose in amusement. "Sorry, I still find it hard to call the both of them by the same name. How is your boyfriend taking all of this?"

"No clue. I know it's not easy for him with Harrison around. I can only hope that it doesn't affect us too much. We are just starting out, and I have to admit that I really want this to work out between us. If it fails, I want it to fail because of the both of us, not the interference of our exes."

Harrison had been very attentive with her, from the hospital and even as she reincorporated herself back into a working schedule. He checked in on her health; he was considerate with her mother, who adored him and always tried to learn more about her. Above everything, he continued to give her respect both in and out of their workplaces. He was an apt listener, and even better, he would find opportune moments during the weeks to put anything he learned to use. It wasn't hard work to get used to a man like him.