CHAPTER XXIII

Cassandra rolled her head, allowing the warm water to hit her from all angles. She was tempted to close herself within her home the whole day, dying of embarrassment of what happened the night before. She whimpered, slapping her palm down the tiled wall and ranting to no one before shutting off the shower and walking out of the bathroom.

Kiss aside, the entire night had been splendid. Harrison had been attentive, not only to her but to her character, not speaking of anything that made her defensive while still managing to remain informal. Cassandra was well aware that her perfect dinner, which went down without an incident, would spell disaster for her the next day, and it did. From the shower to dressing up, she tried to remind herself to think about anything but the kiss.

Cassandra stepped out of her car, joining a jubilant Julia under the umbrella while the rain poured around them. Thunder cracked through the sky, making both women jump and grab each other, but they soon recovered. Mystified at her bad luck, Cassandra looked around her and watched as the clouds darkened, its shadow creeping over the grounds and buildings.

"Oh, how I hate the rain."

"Ignore it if you can't see its beauty but don't hate it, alright?" Julia took care of the wet umbrella, grinning back at Cassandra. "Now, we have to fix your schedules so that you can have a very eventful day and have time to go home because your mom wants you to be home and rested each day."

"There would come a day that woman would put me in diapers. Well, you can report back to her that I have been taking my drugs and staying out of trouble. Somehow she believes it more when it doesn't come from me."

Julia stepped back; folding her arms beneath her breast, she took a good look at Cassandra. With her black shirt neatly tucked into her godet skirt and her legs pushed into the best pair of ankle strap heels she could find. Her hair was flowing today, so it rested on her shoulders, with her face as gloomy as it could get.

"That's true. Now, I want to know how you couldn't tell me you were going out with Harrison. I feel jealous of Shantel now. How can you tell her and not me?"

"The biggest and only reason is that I knew you had to go home to your husband and kids. I didn't want you to skip that just to pick out dresses, and like I told Shantel, it was a dinner."

"My kids have me all the time; I am sure they would have lasted an hour without me. At least tell me that she dressed you upright."

"That she did." Cassandra scoffed, throwing her purse down on the couch. Cassandra moaned, massaging the muscle of her shoulders and neck. "I feel wrecked like I didn't sleep at all."

"Forget that." Julia gushed, dropping down beside Cassandra, who drew back in surprise. Julia was not deterred, the smile on her face growing. "Tell me how it went. Your next meeting is in the afternoon, and it is the only one for today, so don't even bother using that excuse. You know I adore you, and I won't judge anything you tell me, no matter how silly."

Cassandra laughed, ready to answer when the doors of her office busted open, and an angry-looking Josephine walked in with her security guards following closely behind her. Cassandra stood from the seat; she raised her hand to tell them it was alright, but before they could leave, Josephine blinded her with a loud slap that echoed with the thunder.

Her body lurched to the side as she stumbled towards her table, but she threw her hands out to catch her fall before she hit. Through the buzzing in her ears, the sound of Josephine arguing with Julia and the guards filtered through.

"How dare, you Cassandra? I warned you that you wouldn't like what would happen if you cross me. I warned you."

With a wave of her hand, she asked the guards to leave while she pulled herself straight and took in a long breath so she could reign in her anger. Making decisions on an angry mind lead to disaster, but at that moment, she wanted to skin Josephine alive.