CHAPTER XXXI

Cassandra gratefully smiled at Dylan, taking the hand he offered and carefully stepping down from the car. Most of the discomfort from her fall was gone. She still had to be careful with her movements, so she wasn't sore by the end of the day. She used the opportunity of having fewer working hours to work from the comfort of her home, on her bed or in the study. She only went to the office when it was necessary.

Julia walked towards her, thanking Dylan for the ride as they left him to enter the building. They had signed a contract with Cooper's secretary early in the morning. With nothing much to do in the office, Cassandra decided they would spend it at the pool house with Shantel. Julia did not oppose. The building had a nice bar and a small restaurant, which was fine because both women were hungry for food and company.

"Well, Well. Look who just woke up?"

Shantel swaggered up to them, dressed in a fitted knee-length dress and grey sneakers. Her bangles chimed as they clanked against one another when she lifted her arms to pull Cassandra into a hug and Julia as well. She ushered them into the restaurant, away from the swarm of people flocking into the building so they could have some privacy. Shantel walked them to a table on the last floor, proudly announcing that she set it up solely for them.

"You are too considerate." Julia complimented, pulling out a chair for Cassandra before she took her own.

Shantel sat beside her, laying her phone down on the table as she reached over to pop the bottle of champagne open with an enthusiastic whoop. Julia inched away, narrowly avoiding the spray while laughing at the situation.

"I heard that Harrison took you out again yesterday." Shantel began slyly, filling up a flute and passing it over to Cassandra before filling another one. "You need to tell me if I should start getting excited before I get way ahead of myself."

"Not," Julia answered before she could. Cassandra didn't even try to step in because she knew she would be outnumbered in the argument. They only met a handful of times at the hospital, but Shantel and Julia agreed on so many things it was a waste of time to argue with them both in the room.

"What do you mean not?"

"I asked how it was, and if she was, you know, taking the next step, but I got around solid 'no'. Apparently, she is only planning to be openly cordial with him, so her mom's doubts about her work life are abated. In a few weeks, she plans to only see him when work arises. Personally, I think it's a ridiculous idea."

"I second that."

"Of course, you do." Cassandra nodded, smiling at the waiter when he began to set their plates in front of them. She unfolded the napkin and spread it over her lap, taking a sip of her champagne. "I told you that I was not interested in having a relationship with him or with anybody."

"I don't see what you are so afraid of. Please don't tell me it's Josephine or the town gossip that is stopping you because I will hit you with this vase."

"I heard you shared some words with her when she went to insult you in your office. Is it true? Did she really hit you?"

"Amongst other things."

"But Cassandra really put her in her place." Julia jumped in, much to Shantel's excitement. It had been a while since the fight, and Shantel had been spoiling for some inside information. From the look of anticipation on her face, Cassandra doubted the sense behind bringing Julia, who seemed more than ready to rise to the occasion. "She literally undressed her in front of everybody and moved on to undress everybody else."

"I didn't do that."

"She did. She asked everyone why they were so shocked by the news. It wasn't like she kissed their fathers or brothers, so they should pick up their jaws and swallow their tongues." Shantel choked on her wine, and Cassandra stuffed her mouth with food, laughing despite herself. "Josephine was still there, standing gobsmacked, mostly because she had been smacked, but Cassandra didn't even let her get another word in."