CHAPTER L

By the time she left the hospital, the sun had disappeared from the sky and into the clouds. The night was dark, with only street lights giving away any glow. They had left the hospital after making sure Keon survived her wounds. They also had their wounds checked on last time to make sure there was nothing to worry about.

If Cassandra had her way, she would have slept in the hospital for the whole day, that would have given her enough time to see if Keon woke up, but Harrison convinced her to leave. With her dizzy spells, he told her that it would be safer if she went back to the hotel and got some rest, but she didn't feel like returning to that place. The headache that pounded in her skull made her even more sleepy than she felt, so she allowed herself to drift off as Harrison continued to steer down the street.

"I know you are a bit traumatized with all this." His voice slowly drove her back towards consciousness. Cassandra's eyes fluttered then she sent him a nod. "Keon is going to be alright. The police are looking into the shooter, I am not sure what they'll find, but hopefully, the shooter would be caught. Don't get yourself too worked up over it; you'll only end up stressing yourself out."

Cassandra was saddled with guilt because she remembered the outlook of the man that shot up the hotel. The driver was dressed in a black hoodie and mask, the same as the person she saw before she fell. Coincidence? She had no idea. If the shooting had nothing to do with her, it was a seriously rounded coincidence, right down to the letter. It made her wonder who would want her dead? The only person that she knew from home that ended up in Himont was H.W and Josephine. They were both intense and obsessive, but Cassandra didn't want to imagine any of them could do that.

"What's on your mind?"

"The night of my fall, I told you that someone got into the house and then pushed me off the staircase when I got up there, but I didn't tell you the whole truth about what really happened."

His eyebrows shot up, and she sucked in her lower lip. His voice made her turn from the window, "Come again? Are you trying to tell me that you know who pushed you off the stairs?"

Cassandra shook her head regrettably, playing with the baggage on her arm. "If I had any idea who did that to me, I would have said something the moment I opened my eyes." She pushed her hair off her shoulder and settled herself in the seat before waving her hands dismissively. "No, I don't know who it is."

"Okay, so what did you forget to mention to me then?"

Her chest heaved. "The person, whoever they were, was dressed in all black except for the shoes. He, I think it was a he, was wearing a back hood, and I couldn't even see his eyes. Everything was black. Even the joggers were black with the gloves as well. Exactly like today's shooter."

"I'm confused about what your point is."

She sighed and threw her hands up in the air, making the blanket slide off her shoulder, but she didn't care; all traces of sleep washed from her eyes. "Look, what if the killer is tracking me and all those people were victims when I was the target."

"Are you insane?"

"Nearly!" She dropped her head back hard on the headrest. "Look, if this is my fault, then I have to figure this thing out before someone else gets hurt. What if they had attacked me at home when my mom was around? Or the shooter actually ended up killing someone today?"

"Nothing that happened today is your fault. We were meant to go out; you didn't ask to be involved in any shooting."

"I don't know, Harrison. People have done crazy things for money and revenge, those are exactly the things that people have against me right now. On one hand, I have enemies in business, and on the other, there is my crazy ex and yours."