CHAPTER VI

The service ended with the soft rhythm of the organ playing into the morning as people filed out of the church. Cassandra waved at her mother, who rushed away to speak with her brother, leaving Cassandra alone. She stood at the foot of the stairs, intending to wait for her mother, but the scorching sun ate at her skin. Unable to stand the glare, she revised to wait for her mother in the car.

"Hello, again, Miss Hernández."

Cassandra stopped abruptly. Contemplating, for a quick moment, to act as if she had not heard him. With a resigned sigh, she turned around to face him. She planted her stance and straightened her shoulders. Although she would have preferred never to cross paths with him, their city was not big enough for such a dream. Much less when they were in the same business. Cassandra fortified herself, internally reading herself for anything he might say or do.

"Mr Clark." She nodded in hostile acknowledgement.

"I guess you are not too pleased to see me."

Cassandra returned her gaze to him. Smiling tightly with a shake of her head, "It has nothing to do with you, Mr Clark. I am just not fond of meeting business on weekends."

"Aren't we all?" He said and smiled as if he was enjoying some private joke.

Cassandra flicked her hair over her shoulder. A quick glance around the compound confirmed that her mother was nowhere around. "I won't lie. I have been wondering when we would cross paths."

"I guess we both have been thinking about the same things then." He nodded in agreement. Harrison stuck a hand out to her, smiling graciously. "Allow me to formally introduce myself then. My name is Harrison Clark. A pleasure to meet you."

Her eyes fell on his outstretched hand and remained there for a while before she stretched forward to shake him. His grip was strong, his large hand swallowing her smaller one. "Cassandra Hernández, very nice to finally meet you, Mr Clark."

"Harrison." He offered.

"No thanks." She replied defiantly. "I would prefer the formality because we don't know each other too well."

"Accepted, but I am sure there would be lots of opportunities for that later on." He folded his arms again and looked past her, "I will be honest with you. Of all the ways I thought we would meet, I never imagined this as one of them."

"The same is true for me as well." Cassandra tapped her fingers nervously against the leather strap of her purse. "Never seen you here before. Not only in the church but also in the city. Did you arrive because of your father?"

"No. The city may not look like it, but it is quite big." He laughed to himself, shoving his hands into the pocket of his trouser. "I left when I was younger and spent most of my time outside the country. I would visit occasionally, but now I live here permanently. Still, for all the Sundays I have had in this church, it is the first time of seeing you."

"Strange turn of events." Cassandra looked up at him for a moment, a fleeting smile flashing across her face. "I am sorry about your father. Believe it or not, I respected him a lot."

Harrison shocked her by bursting out in laughter. "Really? From what I heard, it was 'clash of titans' between the two of you."

Cassandra found herself smiling as well. "It was. It is always that way in business. Especially when it is highly competitive. Yet, your father held his own. The company was dying, there was so much to gain from letting it go, but he kept it. Many men and women I have come across easily let go of their so-called passion when they find the right price for it, your father was not like that. There was no right price for what he believed in."

Harrison smiled; he seemed in the habit of doing that often. Up close, Cassandra could not deny that he was an entrancing man with impressive features. It was easy to see why Josephine had gone to the lengths she had a week ago. Any woman would be pleased to gain the attention of a man like Harrison. Still, handsome as he was, Cassandra strongly believed she was not just any woman. He was her competitor, and that was the only label she wished to place over them.

They stood together in silence. Cassandra, tempted to try to walk to her car, decided it was best to stay standing because there was a huge chance that he might offer to walk with her. Harrison did not seem as uncomfortable with the silence as she was. Instead, he took the time of silence to look her over. Cassandra nervously traced the neckline of her dress, trying not to look back at him.

She looked down on herself, making sure there was nothing on her. Taking in her dress and boots before stating bluntly. "Is there something on me that interests you?"

His smirk widened, and he laughed, "It is not like that. I promise."

"Oh no? Mind telling me why you are looking at me like that?"

"You are very different than what I expected to meet." He lifted his hands in surrender when she squared her shoulders. "After all, I read of the power struggle between my dad and yourself that last thing I expected to hear was that you respected him. Then again, what do I really expect when I am getting my information from magazines and tabloids. You are indeed a fascinating woman Miss Hernández."

Cassandra nodded in understanding. She had also used all she read from magazines and blogs to create a very unflattering image of the man. Now that he stood in front of her, she could tell that not all she read had been true. He was a flirt. That much was true. He was one of those men whose every word looked like an invitation, but he was fiercely respectful. He did not give sly comments or speak in an offensive tone. Josephine's arrogance was suddenly looking more and more justified.

"You are also quite different from what is said about you. I guess that is just the downside to rumours."

Casandra's mother chose that moment to appear. Rushing towards them, rambling her apologies for taking so long. Harrison turned his charms on her mother, politely shaking her hand to introduce himself. It took a moment for her mother to place his face and shook his hand with a little more enthusiasm.

"It is nice to see you, Harrison." She went a step farther as to give him a short hug. "You do not know me very well, but I knew your father. As late as it probably is, I am very sorry for your loss."

Harrison nodded. "Thank you."

"Are you done here?" Her mother turned to her with a nod, and Cassandra smiled, inwardly letting out a sigh of relief. "Well, we can go then. Pleasure speaking to you, Mr Clark."

Harrison raised a hand in acknowledgement, and Cassandra all but dragged her mother towards the car. She resisted the urge to look back or check if he watched her. Dylan opened the door for them, helping her mother into the car before Cassandra slid into her own seat. As they drove away, she found her mind rolling through the entire conversation with Harrison. He was indeed a charming man, polite and respectful. There was something about him, something she could not quite place, that drew her interest. It was a dangerous path to follow, but Cassandra couldn't help but admire him.