CHAPTER LV

It happened so fast, the car, the hit and the fall. She didn't see the car approaching, but she heard the tires and saw the lights before Harrison turned her around, and the car hit. It didn't happen fast. No, she never had such mercy. Neither did Harrison.

Harrison saw it. The light made her pinch her eyes shut as all the muscles in her body locked tight but not before she saw the hood behind the windshield. There was no time to help Harrison out the way because the sickening thud of his body hitting the car came right after the lights, and then they were rolling.

Like clockwork, thunder rumbled in the sky, booming loudly as the sounds registered in her mind through their tour of the car's body. Harrison took all the hits because of the position he held her in, she only felt the aftershocks of everything he took in full. His skull smashed into the windshield, but before she could hear his groan of pain, she also rolled over the window, and her skin took good cuts to it. Her finger reached out and grabbed onto his shoulder as a form of support because she could do nothing more.

Her back took in the iced feel of the metal on the roof of the car, and her eyes spread open on a gasp just to see the blackening clouds for a split second before the spinning continued. As the car sped out from under them, they were suspended in the air for a moment, then the final spin and Harrison went crashing into the floor with her body safe from the impact.

Her head spun as she stood, her hands spread out on the concrete to stop herself from putting too much pressure on Harrison's chest while her mind tried to regain some stamina. The car was definitely gone. The sound of the car skidding away sunk into her subconscious, but that was not her priority.

Harrison.

Moving fast made her nauseous, but she had no choice. She crawled away from Harrison and sat on her haunches, shock and tears on her face as she gently looked around where he laid. To make sure she had heard wrong, she felt around his head, her stomach rolling when her hands came back wet with blood. The sickening crack she heard when they hit the floor had not been the impact of the fall but the cracking of bone.

With her head thrown back, she began sobbing, her knees scraped raw after she crawled to him, the blood oozing from him was pooling out gradually, so she had time to call for help. She wasn't trained, she didn't know what to do, but she remembered that she was not supposed to move him.

"Help!"

Just then, as panic took over her heart, she saw his eyelids squeezed for a moment then opened just as her heart sunk with joy. Ignoring the blood around his lips, she crushed their lips together then bolted off towards the house. Something was broken, she could feel it in her ribs, and one of her legs hurt to move, but she was better off than Harrison. At least he was conscious, so she could call an ambulance and hurry over to help me. There was no one at home because she had sent everybody away before Harrison arrived. Dylan had gone into town to get her mother, and they were probably in traffic. She was having an atrociously bad day.

She pushed her weight against the door, stumbling to her knees in a groan as the door fell open. Cassandra took a breath, walking intently towards the phone after standing to her feet, not wasting any time dialling for an ambulance. "Yes, I need an ambulance quickly. My boyfriend got run over in my driveway, and I don't know how long he has. Hurry, please."

"Okay, please calm down and tells us where you are so we can send the nearest ambulance to your location."

Time was flying. "Down the street from Kilbourne road, number 45. Please hurry."

"The ambulance would be where you are in seven minutes."

Harrison just needed to hold on; she needed to keep him awake. Cassandra staggered out of the house, picking the blanket up from the floor where she left it earlier. She fell back on the floor beside him, slapping his cheeks to get him to open his eyes.