CHAPTER LX

Cassandra waited for Creed for an hour after seeing the doctor. By he arrived, she was half asleep on the couch. Her hands lobbed at the side, but when the door opened, she jumped and slammed the dangling arm on the edge of the seat. With a little wince, she turned and watched the nurse and the detective walk in.

"You must be Creed Moore, and I am beyond pissed."

With a short apology, Creed stepped aside for the nurse to leave. "Sorry for being late, but I work for more than one person, so I had to attend to all the people who came before you."

"Fine." She breezed, offering him a seat, then planted herself right beside him. Her hands folded and tucked at her sides. "Tell me what you found because I have been waiting for ages for all this to finally unravel itself."

"Oh, it would be unravelling right in front of your eyes. This isn't really my forte, so you have to forgive me if finding the right man to suit your request took a while. I would have gotten this to you sooner if it was a thief. Got in touch with my friend, and he ran through your boyfriend's records."

"Not my boyfriend." She added unnecessarily, but with a necessity only she understood. Creed shrugged, uninterested, carrying his smile across his face as he leaned forward to removed files from a bag that sat at his feet.

"Sure, he's not. Anyway, it turns out Harrison Williams landed himself into debt. He owed what totalled over 5.7 million dollars."

Her fingers schemed the surface of the book then watched the pages flood around her. When she spoke, her voice sounded more than millions of miles away, even to her own ears. "He took... he bought a plane ticket to the same place we planned to have our honeymoon."

"Yes. Someplace I am sure you never thought of looking for him. He has lived in Roman City since your wedding and until four months ago. He is married to a young woman named Marianne Williams; she came with one son and, they had twins some years ago. Just until three months ago, his debt was 4.7 million, then it all completely vanished. Paid in full, by Josephine Claymont."

Everything around her began to mesh into one big mess. She spent so long mourning for what she lost, but she didn't even think for a second that Harrison's life was not the same. She had been so angry, so hurt, she wished the same on Harrison a thousand times over. But it wasn't. He got the wife and kids and a nice home.

A big family picture leapt out of the pages to meet her eyes. She found herself tracing the glowing face of a pregnant Marianne while Harrison was on his knees before her. It wasn't filled with blue skies, stained with little patches of sunlight; it was stormy. The clouds were dark, with the streams of gentle rain running through the couples already wet hair.

"You said Josephine paid off his debt?"

Another firm nod. "Yes, then two weeks after, he said goodbye to his wife and landed here in Santa Montes. A lot of calls between the two of them each time you made a call to Harrison or planned to step out even a little bit. She knew you were alone in the house the moment you called Harrison over, so she went in, knocked you out, then left Harrison to find you."

The police had been to Josephine's house, where they found a few recorded conversations from Cassandra's phone. She wasn't sure when, but Josephine had managed to plant a bug on her phone that allowed her to record calls and go through her messages.

"I need..." She trailed off, patting the pocket of her jeans as she looked around the room for her keys; they were in her bag. "I need to step out, call my assistant. You have her number and have her send you the rest of your bill. Thank you so much. Please, can you wait here for the nurse to return before you leave? I don't want him to be alone?"